Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ourflat

Family's Serving in the Military

Since I am one of many generations who served in the military I am wondering who else here have the same legacy. My father was an Army Korean Veteran and my younger brother is also an Army Veteran from the 1st Gulf War. My grandfather was also in th Army along with several of my uncles who served in the Navy during WWII. I served during the Cold War in the Air Force.

Frank

My grandfather was medically disqualified during WWII and ended up working in the factories. My father spent 20 years in the USAF. I spent 27 years in the Army, my son is currently in his 8th year in the Army. My middle sister spent 3 years in the Air Force, and my nephew spent 4 years in the Navy.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Member
    Dad was in the Navy during WW II. I spent 24 years in the Army. Son is a Navy geek. He is stationed on a destroyer. takes care of the hardware and software of the computers for the weapons systems.

4. Member
    Navy family pretty from pretty far back. I’m the oddball with 18 years in the AF

5. Member
    My grandparents immigrated from "the old country" after WWI. My grandfather was in the cavalry, fighting for the Kaiser. During WWII my grandmother was a supervisor at an ammo factory, and she cherished the pin they gave her for her service. Dad Korea, me USMC from 1981 - 2011.

6. Member
    Great uncle WW 1 W.I.A USMC,Uncle WW2 K.I.A. Army, Father Korea W.I.A Army I was in Nam U.S.M.C W.I.A. X3

7. Member
    2 Uncle in Vietnam, cousin was in the Army, older brother was in the AF, I was 11bangbang...
    Wifes dad was in the Army, numerous uncles served... never met them due to them passing before I met her...

8. ourflat
    I wonder want/ why families like ours decide to become patriots like all our examples above. Do you think it’s a sense of duty?

Frank

9. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Grandfather was in the Navy WW1, Father and Uncle in WW2, Father Air Corps, U ncle Infantry Cousin Korea, Infantry me, Vietnam, Infantry and son Navy. Pretty cool, now a days the kids for the most part don't want any part of it. Man peace time service has to be great for a young person. I tell them everyone doesn't have to be a grunt. My son went into the Navy as a electrician and now has a thriving business.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Quote Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
    I wonder want/ why families like ours decide to become patriots like all our examples above. Do you think it’s a sense of duty?

Frank
    I would say it's from being raised inside the military and recognizing that we're free only by the exertions and sacrifices of those that went before us...and we need to keep paying it forward.

Or...could be the "free" college money...and hot chicks, everyone knows chicks dig guys in uniform...and the stories we tell.

Or a combination of all of the above.

I would say for those with service in their bloodline...it's part of a larger calling.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

11. Member
    Dad ('68-'72)- Navy in Vietnam, me (4yrs), Army/NG first gulf war, Brother (22 yrs) with 1 tour in Iraq, 3 in Afghanistan, Son is in AF now (4yrs) and gets out in December.

In my family, I have 14 cousins, 11 of us served, mostly in the Army with a couple AF in there. Yeah, it runs in our family!
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbully71 View Post
    Dad ('68-'72)- Navy in Vietnam, me (4yrs), Army/NG first gulf war, Brother (22 yrs) with 1 tour in Iraq, 3 in Afghanistan, Son is in AF now (4yrs) and gets out in December.

In my family, I have 14 cousins, 11 of us served, mostly in the Army with a couple AF in there. Yeah, it runs in our family!

My Great granddad served in the Prussian Army, My granddad served in the US Navy when he was 14, during the Spanish American War. My dad served in the Army during WWII. My brother and I both served.

14. Moderator
    Grandfather-army
    Dad-air force
    Myself and 2 brothers-army.
    Very proud we all served our country

15. Member
    Father served in WW II in the 2nd Armored Division. 6 Bronze stars and a purple heart. He retired from the Air Force, decided he had enough of the Army and when it split in 47 he went Air Force.
    One uncle served in WWII in the Philippines.
    Another uncle served in Vietnam and retired from the Army.
    One cousin served a two year stint in the Air Force.
    Another cousin retired from the Army. His brother, another cousin of course, retired from the Air Force.
    I retired from the Army in 99.
    Oldest son is a Tech Sergeant in the Air Force. 2 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan.
    Middle son is a Captain in the Army. He has one tour in the Middle East and is in cyber security.
    Daughter is currently on the Captain's list and is a company commander in the National Guard.

Grandpa was Army, served WW2 in Guam.
    Dad was Navy, served on a boat (Dont remember name) in Nam.
    Me Air Force, been around the block a few times.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

17. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Grandpa was Army, served WW2 in Guam.
    Dad was Navy, served on a boat (Dont remember name) in Nam.
    Me Air Force, been around the block a few times.
    Did you get a chance to go to Guam? I had 2 tours to Anderson AFB.

Frank

18. Member
    Great Great grandfather - Civil War
    Grandfather - WW I
    Father - WW II/Korea/Viet Nam (Pilot Army Air Corps (1943), Transitioned to USAF in 1947 stayed until retirement 1970.
    Mother- US Army Nurse Corps - WW II and Korea.
    Brother - USMC
    Me - Army 69-73 (Flew Hueys and Loaches) USMC 1974-2004)
    My Son - Navy
    My Daughter - USAF Flight Nurse (still on Active Duty)

19. ourflat
    All here are true patriots.....proud to have served!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
    Did you get a chance to go to Guam? I had 2 tours to Anderson AFB.

Frank
    Nope, never been to Guam. Saudi, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qutar. All the sand countries...and many more.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast