Hard to shift into reverse

Hi ,
    Seems I have lots of maint issues going on, but working through them. J150EXEUC . When I first arrive at boat after it has been sitting for a few days, start it up and then try to back out of slip, it is very difficult to shift into reverse. The throttle seems very stiff and hard to move. If I shift into forward a few times first and then into reverse, no problem. I am thinking the shift cable is starting to seize up. I assume if it is the cable, I should replace both the shift and the throttle cable? It is an original cable from 1997.
    Thanks for all the great advice here

2. Member
    Best way to isolate the problem is to disconnect the shift cable at the engine and try the shift to feel any changes. Manipulate the engine shift linkage to feel for change in effort.
    salt water corrosion will eventually take its toll on a nearly 25 year old cable set.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Not to mention the possible salt buildup on the shift rod and housing causing binding.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Not to mention the possible salt buildup on the shift rod and housing causing binding.
    ++ to Championman

5. Member
    Sorry for slow reply. thanks for input. It was corrosion on the shift cable. I was going to try to replace it myself, but chickened out. Had a mobile mechanic that was recommended to me come by and he replaced both the shift and the throttle cable. A huge improvement. It shifts nice and smooth and the throttle has a lot less resistance on it now. It was quite stiff before. A small stagger, maybe a 1/4-1/2 inch between throttles with a matched RPM. The new cable throttle being aft of the old cable throttle. I will run it a while and let it settle in and see if the small stagger evens out a bit.

6. Member
    Thanks for the follow up. Good to hear of your success.