lews speed spool lfs drag question

I've had my lews speed spool lfs for almost a year now but haven't used it much, just recently i tried using the reel for my punch set-up and noticed that the drag was really rough and not smooth and consistent. Do you guys think that i could apply a small amount of grease to the drag washers to make it smoother? I've had a few lews reel in the past and one of them did the exact same thing and i ask Lews customer service to see if i can apply grease to the washers but the advise me not to. Any thoughts?
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

2. Banned
    Base Lews reel. Not exactly gonna be a smooth operating drag. You would need the drag stacks of the MP or TP to get that smooth carbon drag system.

3. Member
    I would not grease the drag washer. I would call Lew’s tomorrow and have them send you a new one. My guess is if you’ve left the star drag cranked down with the reel setting the drag washer has probably compressed and may even be adhered to your drive gear. If it is you’ll want to use a scotch brute pad to clean your drive gear off from any leftover material before putting the new one in and make sure it stays dry. Also that drag washer will last you longer if you back your star drag off between trips and especially if it’s going to be setting for awhile.

4. Member
    Sounds pretty typical of Lews speed spools honestly. Every Lews reel I’ve owned has had some sort of drag issue
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

You can grease the "B" washer which is behind the gear....and you can put a thin film of grease on each pressure plate (bottom side) remember less is more. Dan

6. Member
    I always back the drag off after every fishing trip so I'm sure that was not the issue. I'll try to clean off the gears using scotch brite with a new drag washer to see if it helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelDr View Post
    I would not grease the drag washer. I would call Lew’s tomorrow and have them send you a new one. My guess is if you’ve left the star drag cranked down with the reel setting the drag washer has probably compressed and may even be adhered to your drive gear. If it is you’ll want to use a scotch brute pad to clean your drive gear off from any leftover material before putting the new one in and make sure it stays dry. Also that drag washer will last you longer if you back your star drag off between trips and especially if it’s going to be setting for awhile.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Sounds pretty typical of Lews speed spools honestly. Every Lews reel I’ve owned has had some sort of drag issue
    I have a bunch of lfs series reels & never had a problem with the drag. What happens to them usually? I've had one that the level wind quit & Lews fixed it free of charge. I shipped it to them & they shipped it back on their dime.

I have 14 of the new Lew’s and had one minor drag issue with one reel. I called Lew’s and they said to use a tiny bit of drag grease and it solved the problem.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    I have a bunch of lfs series reels & never had a problem with the drag. What happens to them usually? I've had one that the level wind quit & Lews fixed it free of charge. I shipped it to them & they shipped it back on their dime.
    their CS I hear is fantastic but I don’t feel right sending in a reel cause it probably is my fault/lack of maintenance. I’ve had issues Speed spools, MGs and MBs, all would act like I had 30% of the normal drag it should have after the second or third year. I strip them down and clean them each year and it’s the only reels that ever act up on me regardless of brand. They still don’t have as much drag as they nearly should so I just use them as my finesse jig, and jerkbait rods where I don’t need the drag locked down. My Tourney pro is about 6 years old and it’s been great but can’t cast nearly as far as any other reel I have. I used to be a big fan of Lews back about 8years ago but just feel there’s better for the money now. Weird thing is, I absolutely love my Revo SX even though Lews and Abu are made in the same factory
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I have 14 of the new Lew’s and had one minor drag issue with one reel. I called Lew’s and they said to use a tiny bit of drag grease and it solved the problem.
    This, and tiny is bit true. I have various brands of reels, and all need assistance.