24v to 36v conversation

Upgrading to a36 volt trolling motor for my 1998 188DC,Has anyone done this .Do I use the existing circuit breakers(40amp)and add another one for the third battery with a another set of battery leads to the front receptical.Does the 36 volt plug have more prongs for the third set of cables?
    was also thinking about moving the oil tank to the center above the bilge cover and putting the third battery next to the cranking battery ,any thoughts or pictures would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks Gen

2. Member
    I just upgraded my 201d to 36v. Mine had two sets of wires in it for 24v. I pulled those out and ran a single set of red and black new 6AWG but in hindsight, should have kept the original wire and just used one set. You only need one set of wire. I hardwired my trolling motor in the front and added a new 60 amp breaker with a blue sea cut off in the battery area. Also added a 4 bank charger. I discarded the old breakers.
    Minn Kota has a wiring diagram for a 36v system. Not sure if your plug can Handle 36v... my old is a Marinco 4 prong and is labeled 12-24v. Regarding batteries: I am running lithium for trolling and flooded on the crank. Three lithium fit on one side and the flooded is on the other along with the oil tank. I will get a picture tonight.

3. Member
    Thanks for the help