1994 204 issues fixed and a new RX4 prop

Took me, and several others, most of the summer to figure out why my “new to me” 1994 204 was virtually uncontrollable over 55mph. I’m running a 2008 evinrude etec 250 HO... A lot of people said I just needed seat time with it, which certainly didn’t hurt, but after multiple people drove the boat and walked away scared to death I knew it had to be something more. I had always felt the steering felt off, so out of desperation I changed out the whole system and got lucky, the boat stopped trying to kill me.

Once I got past that hurdle I knew I had to figure out the right prop. It had a 3 blade raker 14.5x24p, had a good hole shot and hit 70mph at 6100 rpms, but the acceleration was slow and the boat didn’t get up on pad as quick as I thought it should. So after some research I went with a 4 blade RX4 14.5x25p and wow! Only have had the boat out twice... Hole shot is about the same, maybe a little worse (vents are 3/4 open, I’m going to open them 100%)... acceleration, stability, grip, and ride is shockingly better!!! The entire boat rides higher and the bow is much lighter... It was crazy windy so I didn't go WOT, but I hit 67 at 5400rpm with more to go. I think I’ll be around 70/72. It’s honestly like a new boat.

It’s been a blast learning about this boat and bass boats in general this summer. I know the 204 hasn’t had the best reputation, but paired with this motor and prop it’s a ripper and I couldn’t be happier.
    2020 Nitro Z20
    250hp Mercury Pro XS

THe 204 gets a bad rap with the 200 set up. It does well with the 250s.

3. Member
    Low 70's in a 204 = your doing good!

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Sounds like you have figured her out really well! Congratulations. The only negative I have ever heard about the 204 is that she can be difficult to set up, but you passed that hurdle!!!!