elites on chic ?

After seeing the elites on chic I was wondering how deep the grass grows there . I have never been there before . I thought I heard that livesay was fishing mats as shallow as a foot of water . Does the grass not grow out all that deep or does it now mat up very deep ? Right now what is the deepest grass in the lake that the pros could have been fishing ?

2. Member
    The water on chick isn't real clear, I think the hydrilla seems to be able grow down to about 13' to 15' give or take. TVA raises the lake level in the spring and lowers it in the fall for flood control. It is a gradual adjustment that takes weeks and heavy rains will make it take longer. TVA has their set in stone schedule and they don't deviate. If heavy rains fall late in the spring and it's before the schedule says it's supposed to be at full summer pool, they will lower it back down. Today the lake is approx 3' below full summer pool, so matted grass in 1' of water was actually growing in 4' of water a few weeks ago. The water level will continue to drop till it hits the winter pool level. It will drop 6-8 feet before they are done. I don't know how deep the pro's were since I didn't watch it on tv and I stayed off the lake while they were here. Most of the success I have this time of year fishing matted grass in 10' or so of water.
    Last edited by chatabass; 10-21-2020 at 03:37 PM.

3. Member
    I was there right after the elites. If you found the right mats you could definitely catch several out of one small mat. I caught 3 and had others blow up and miss out of a small mat where water was 12-18". I had 3 fish for 9lbs in 4 hours before I blew my motor.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    After seeing the elites on chic I was wondering how deep the grass grows there . I have never been there before . I thought I heard that livesay was fishing mats as shallow as a foot of water . Does the grass not grow out all that deep or does it now mat up very deep ? Right now what is the deepest grass in the lake that the pros could have been fishing ?
    I believe I was seeing grass out to 9'. It may grow deeper but the grass that was topped out was around 5'. There is grass everywhere on that lake but when we where the good cheese mats were mainly up north (above the 60 bridge). I did manage to catch some keeper fish Bay. Practice out of the matted grass down near Harrison bay. I think the grass further down south will get better in the weeks to come, up north the water will be too low to fish where I was.