Hook2-7x Tripleshot transducer mounting/breaking issue

Hi All -

I bought a Hook2-7x GPS Tripleshot and mounted it on my TR-18. Initially the sidescan didn't seem to work so I sent it in to Lowrance and they repaired it, apparently there was some software bug. Got it back on Friday and took it out the next morning - all seemed to be fine until I lost all signal from it. Turns out that the transducer broke off at the point where it mounts to the hull (see photos).

At first I thought I'd mounted it incorrectly, now as I search the internet I find many people complaining of the same issue. What do I do? Thankfully Lowrance is sending me a new transducer free of charge, but I fear that if I simply re-attach it I'll have another broken transducer in no time.

I'm no expert at installing transducers but believe it was installed more or less correctly, with the center line of the transducer roughly even with the bottom of the hull.

IMG_0536.jpgIMG_0645.jpg

2. Member
    This board sponsor has the solution:
    https://rytekmarine.com/collections/...nt-coming-soon

3. Member
    When mine broke, I trimmed off the top edges and drilled a 1/4 inch hole thru it just above the transducer . Had to bend out the mounting bracket where it would get low enough install the bolt back thru it. Re installed on my boat and it is working great, even read depths while running at speeds. I had done this with trolling motor transducer broke the same way. Both are working great. In fact, the transom transducer is much stronger now with out that long neck on it.

4. Member
    Thanks but I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have a picture? thanks

5. Member
    I really don't know how to down load pictures on here but will try.000_0167.JPG Don't know if you can see it very good but I trimmed the broken top part of the transducer with jig saw and drilled a 1/4 inch hole for the bolt to go thru it. As you can see, I had to bend the bracket out where it would fit over the transducer to get the bolt thru it. Hope I haven't confused you too much.
    It added a picture of the trolling motor transducer where I repaired it. It had more of the neck still on it and was easier to drill and install the bolt. Ignore the Gorilla Glue. I glued the neck on the transducer to make it stable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ranger VX; 10-21-2020 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added picture...

6. Member
    Gotcha thanks. I might fill the space where the bolt runs thru with plastic putty to give it more strength.

How important is it to have the lower half of the sensor in the water at speed? I don't really need to know depth when I'm running as it's my home lake and if I moved the sensor up 3/4 inch or so it should have a lot less drag while running.

7. Member
    With the Triple Shot, Lowrance recommends that you NOT have the transducer below the bottom, just too much drag on the transducer. Since mine broke anyway, I put it low enough to read while running. It reads at all speed now. Hope it lasts awhile. Lowrance should fix this terrible mistake in their design. Good idea about the putty. That should help.

8. Member
    I contacted Lowrance about my transducers necks breaking and they are sending me new ones even though the units are out of warranty. Really nice of them but wish they would fix the design flaws in their Hook transducers.

9. Member
    Our Tripleshot mount was designed exactly for the issue you and almost everyone else running one are having...they are just a terrible design and snap in the same spot all the time unfortunately! Our mount solves the problem and eliminates the need of purchasing a new transducer! Also be very careful trying to fix it any other way as 99% of people that try it just snap it off again and if you loose the transducer (cut by the prop) or if it comes flying back up into the boat or hitting the motor you are going to land up breaking the internals rendering it useless! Other benefits of the mount are #1 being 100% bullet proof and never having to worry about it again but it also gives you 100% adjustabilty in up down travel and infinite angle adjustment (you are no longer stuck with being limited to a certain percentage of degree's from the toothed insert). You can also setup the transducer so that its rock solid and will not move OR you can set up the torque on the thru bolt so that it will bump up from hitting an object and preventing actual damage to the transducer area itself!
    The mounts are $100+ shipping which is cheaper that the price of a new transducer that more than likely will break again in the future!

Here is a link to the mount on our site. https://rytekmarine.com/collections/...nt-coming-soon

Thanks...Ryan

10. Member
    Thanks Ryan - I just put in my order, don't want to have to ever worry about it again! Question: with this mount should I have the transducer positioned with it's midpoint even with the bottom of the boat?

thanks

Bruce

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beb123 View Post
    Thanks Ryan - I just put in my order, don't want to have to ever worry about it again! Question: with this mount should I have the transducer positioned with it's midpoint even with the bottom of the boat?

thanks

Bruce
    Hi Bruce, Shipped it off this morning!!! As far as mounting depth goes I recommend the starting depth start about halfway up the radius of the leading edge of the transducer. I then adjust the angle (infinite with my mount as you are no longer limited to set degree's) and level it to the water (aprox 2mph which gives great side scan images) and then slightly kick the back end up another degree or two...what this will do is still allow for great images at slow speed BUT once up on plane when the bow lifts, the transducer will again be level to the water and not being forced down into the water stream!!! Think of the transom of the boat as the "Fulcrum"...anything ahead of the fulcrum lifts up while under plain and anything behind it plunges into the water (not a huge deal on a little skimmer transducer but an almost 12" long Tripleshot or 3in1 and issues can start such as spray!).

Thanks again for the order!
    Ryan