Trinity 19 The Good News of Salvation; The Gospel

Psalm 78 teaches us the high value of the message of salvation in Jesus Christ. The Good News, (The Gospel) is more important than anything on earth because it gives us Jesus, the only way to heaven.

PSALM 78:1-4 A Teaching Psalm of Asaph.
    1. O my people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth.
    2. I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter hidden things, things from of old--
    3. what we have heard and known, what our fathers have told us.
    4. We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation

the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, His power, and the wonders He has done.

V1. Christ pleads from His heart to your heart--hear and believe His Word. The ungodly world says Scripture is a collection of man-made stories. The world is afraid of punishment from God and cooks up alternate stories and realities. They try to discredit Sacred Scripture. But the Holy Bible is from heaven. It is the inspired, infallible, inerrant Word of God Almighty. It is true salvation history--for you:

Ephesians 2: "You (Christians) are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets (their writings, Sacred Scripture), Christ Jesus Himself being the chief cornerstone."

2 Tim 3: "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God."

2 Peter 1 "Above all, you must understand: that no prophecy of Scripture comes from ones own interpretation. For no prophecy ever came about through human initiative. But men spoke from God, as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

Our spiritual training is ongoing. There is no coasting to heaven. The path of Christian discipleship is hard. The unbelieving world hates Christ because He tells them they are sinful. Therefore, the world also hates God's children. You need protection and strength for life's journey.---and you receive all you need in God's Word. There you will find healing and power for your faith. You'll find comfort and forgiveness in the blood of Jesus. In order to impress upon us the importance of God's Word, He gave us this command:

"Remember the Sabbath Day, by keeping it holy."--We should not disrespect or neglect the preaching of His Word. Instead; hold it sacred, hear, and learn.

We need feeding the soul more than once a week, thru devotions and Scripture reading.

V2&3. Salvation from God is a precious treasure. A great treasure when we look into the mirror of God's Commandments. We see how often and badly we have offended God. We deserve hell. Of such is the value of forgiveness of sins, which is yours thru the holy life and innocent suffering and death of Jesus--on your behalf. One sacrifice reconciled you to the Father--forever. The Holy Spirit makes this Good News known to you in Scripture. "Parables" instruct believers without offending unbelievers. Unbelievers understand none of this, "hidden things".

V4. We want the best for our children in health, safety, education, vocation, spouse, children, friends. One thing is needful above all earthly treasures:

Deuteronomy 11: "Impress these words of mine on your hearts...teach them to your children..."

The Gospel can be lost in one careless generation. Protect them with God's Word. Teach them: over, and over, and over again--and pray.

excerpts sermon 10/18/20

Last edited by msethsmile; 10-21-2020 at 09:07 AM.

2. Member
    Excellent thoughts, yet, though we teach them over and over, let us recall what Jesus taught in the parable of the sower and accept it. Amen

3. Member
    The Holy Spirit can work thru a doorknob if He desires (He's God). But, He has promised to come to us in only one place, His Word (teaching). That is where we should look. Never underestimate the power of the Holy Spirit working thru God's Word. Want to see a miracle? Moving of mountains--think bigger. The starry expanse? Think bigger. The turning of man's heart, a miracle indeed.

Thread's theme: The importance of the treasure of God's Word.

Only the Gospel message (as found in Scripture) can build the Church (individually and corporately).
    Last edited by msethsmile; 10-22-2020 at 09:22 AM.

4. Member
    There's a recent thread about the state of the church. The visible church, in many quadrants, has lost sight of the Gospel (Christ dying for our sins) and importance of the Holy Spirit working thru the Word in bringing individuals to faith, building the church/Church. These churches preach a counterfeit gospel; how to be a good person, how to improve your life, even social justice, above all--you must drive the proper car and eat the proper things (all Law BTW).

"The one thing needful." Christ (His mission to save us from our sins) as found in Holy Scripture.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
    There's a recent thread about the state of the church. The visible church, in many quadrants, has lost sight of the Gospel (Christ dying for our sins) and importance of the Holy Spirit working thru the Word in bringing individuals to faith, building the church/Church. These churches preach a counterfeit gospel; how to be a good person, how to improve your life, even social justice, above all--you must drive the proper car and eat the proper things (all Law BTW).

"The one thing needful." Christ (His mission to save us from our sins) as found in Holy Scripture.
    Amen. I have sermon on the woke church from an interesting character. Super sharp guy that I can agree to disagree on secondary stuff but love his zeal for the gospel, will post it later.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post

Thread's theme: The importance of the treasure of God's Word.

Only the Gospel message (as found in Scripture) can build the Church (individually and corporately).
    Amen and Amen

7. Member
    These churches preach a counterfeit gospel; how to be a good person, how to improve your life, even social justice, above all--you must drive the proper car and eat the proper things (all Law BTW).

Are you saying that preachers shouldn't look like they are coming from a hip hop or a Metallica concert? preaching the feel good message of "claim it"? cause its all about you, are counterfeit?
    According to them, it's in the bible somewhere, must be over the rainbow.

8. Member
    In worship, whether its Metallica or hip hop is adiaphora (not commanded or forbidden by Scripture). That being said, the music should center on Christ and it should not be the center of attention. As per the thread, forgiveness as found in Holy Scripture. Not familiar with 'claim it' but then again, I live in a cave.

Anything not centered on Christ/forgiveness of sins and Law (pointing out our sins) is counterfeit (as to justification/salvation). Law and Gospel (and application to our lives) are the two major doctrines taught in Scripture. The Law is S.O.S.--Shows our sins. The Gospel is S.O.S.--shows our Savior. The Law can't save us (because we fall short) but its purpose is to point out the need for the Gospel. Hand-in-hand but never mixing the two. Easier said than done.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 10-22-2020 at 05:51 PM.

9. Member
    Though, I know that music, or dressing do not have anything to do with proper worship; nor am I saying that worship shouldn't be Christ centered.
    Nevertheless, if you have a clown give any presentation, it will detract from the message, unless you are at a clown convention.

10. Member
    What about the Hamburgler?

Paul; '"Everything is permissible for me."--but not everything is beneficial.' 1 Cor 6:12

The purpose of Christian liberty is not to see how close we can dance to the cliff. The purpose of Christian liberty is to live close to Christ. Worship practices included.

The one thing needed. Its called 'Divine Service' or 'church service' for a reason. Who's service? --God's service to us. He comes to us (condescends) in Divine Service. He comes to us thru Scripture (Law and Gospel). We should treat Him and His service appropriately; with awe and reverence.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 10-26-2020 at 04:35 PM.

11. Member
    Ms
    I always like Ronald McDonald best, and we have 2 houses that bear his name dedicated to children with cancer at Strong Medicine.

BTW, TOTALLY AGREE with your closing paragraph.