Nissan/Tohatsu/Mercury power trim issue 2004 40 hp

Hello, My power trim has been working just fine until this last trip. Motor was very very slow going up and normal speed going down. Then on the 2nd try it would work at normal speed going up and down. I tested it again after 24 hours and again it was very very slow going up but normal speed going down. Then again on 2nd try everything was normal speed up and down. Do I just need more fluid or do I need to check something else? Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Which of the above is your actual engine?

Serial Number?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    It’s a Nissan which is made by Tohatsu. Mercury also uses Tohatsu in this 40 hp model. Ns40d2 is the model.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fourstroke or 2-stroke model?

From the sounds of it, you likely have a trim motor that is getting ready to go. Perhaps consider having it rebuilt (or order a replacement if still available).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks. The strange thing is it will go up and down just fine after it struggles going up the first time after letting it sit a while? Most likely motor issue. Thanks!

6. Member
    Could this also be a slow internal leak ,were as it sits and bleeds pressure off then when ran it builds it back .

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Normally the trim would tend to leak down if that were the case....

8. Member
    Thanks, I ordered a new trim motor. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for your reply.

9. Member
    Another question. Do you know if I should top off the trim fluid in the reservoir under the motor before I replace? Not sure if I need to fill to the top or not? Thanks

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not knowing exactly what system you even have, I would refer to the Engine Owner's Manual.

MOST systems have a fill plug, while is the correct level with the engine fully tilted up and safety latch in place.

11. Member
    Jus an update. I just replaced the motor and put everything back together. Works perfectly now! Thanks! Question, is there any value o the old motor? Can they be rebuilt? Was thinking of selling it if anyone was interested. The new motor cost me $450.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably as scrap... maybe something if it were rebuilt and in good condition (though any for-sale items need to go in the Swap-and-Sell Forums). "Motor Parts" in this case.