Wheeler Weedless Ned Setup

I've always wanted to use a Ned, but where I live there's too much grass for any open hook stuff. He's taking a Finesse Rugby Jighead and Texas Rigging. Anyone try this, or something similar? Colors? Bite slow so I'm hoping this may be good in tough conditions.

2. Member
    Actually you can rig any of the Zman jig heads weedless. Brian Latimer was discussing this on one of his your tube videos. Been doing the way he shows since and it does a really good job. He just rigged it like he does a Texas rig

3. Member
    Wouldn't that be the same thing as a shakey head?

4. Member
    Thought the same thing, sure sounds like it.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post

5. Member
    I have been using the Flatlands custom tackle weedless heads and they work very well around heavy cover

That exposed hook in the grass isn't nearly as bad as you'd think, especially if you're not using a Ned head that's too heavy. If it's burying up, use a lighter head or move it faster. Use too heavy of a head (too heavy to be a Ned rig) and make it weedless and yep, it's just a shakey head.

Otherwise, we fish heavier (1/8-1/4 and sometimes heavier) mushroom style jigs that have bigger exposed hooks (like 3/0 or 4/0) paired with a Senko or ribbontail around here in the grass all the time. You intentionally let it get hung in the grass then rip it free. They'll crush it as soon as it pops out. You'd be surprised. Folks around here call it jigworming. Similar story with snapping a tube through the grass, you've got an exposed hook there as well.

The only time I'd worry about a weedless Ned is around brush, or I suppose around really snaggy boulders. I grew up fishing the latter in WV where the rivers are all very old and where there are a bunch of different types of rock all cobbled together. That stuff is super snaggy. Doubt you're running into much of that in Florida though!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Do not know why it would be a shakey You are just turning the hook around and actually you can I guess call it whatever you want. I just know I can fish a TRD like that and not get hung up in grass. Do not need any different hooks or you can use the Flatlands hooks and use them . they are weedless but they would be a shakey head also?

Finesse BulletZ or the NedlockZ EWG if you really need a weedless rig.
    https://www.zmanfishing.com/cms/products/jigheadz/

But, as Drew talks about, it is very effective to fish with an open hook as well on weed edges or around sparse grass.

9. Member
    How about a spot remover head??

I don't understand a few things about the ned rig. I can understand the downsized baits, but those jigs, especially with the open hooks, are weird to me. Is it meant to be fished on the bottom? If so, why not just use a 1/8 to 1/4 oz shakey head jig? And if not, why bother with any weight at all? I fish a weightless senko a lot, and I feel like it gets me enough fish on a slow fall.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by chefdlh1972 View Post
    I don't understand a few things about the ned rig. I can understand the downsized baits, but those jigs, especially with the open hooks, are weird to me. Is it meant to be fished on the bottom? If so, why not just use a 1/8 to 1/4 oz shakey head jig? And if not, why bother with any weight at all? I fish a weightless senko a lot, and I feel like it gets me enough fish on a slow fall.
    The Ned heads that many people fish are very light weight, even though the bait is fished on the bottom. With the buoyancy of the Elaztech TRD or half a Strike King Zero with the light weight jighead, the bait has a very slow fall and a tantalizing slow drift to the bottom when you move it. That being said, there’s no reason you could not use an 1/8 or even 1/4 oz. shakey head. It will still have the same profile as a light weight Ned rig, but not the slow fall.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by chefdlh1972 View Post
    A lot of the shakey heads come with large hooks, I like a #2 hook on my ned rig heads. It's less snaggy than a larger hook and the shorter hook shank leaves more free plastic and allows the plastic to move with little input from the rod.

It is tough to find shroom heads with #2 hooks with weed guards. There isn't any underwater vegetation to speak of in the lakes I fish, but lots of rocks and timber. Ned heads or any jighead for that matter with wide gap hooks and no weed guards are going to get hung up all the time.