2015 250 Pro XS "Very Low Hours!"

Okay I have a chance to buy a 2015 Nitro with a 250 Pro XS that a friend of mine bought and basically never used. He is not sure if it is even broke in. So my question to you my Mercury gurus is this, what would you recommend be done to make it water ready? I am thinking fresh fuel and filters, lower unit, water pump, etc. Open for suggestions. He just sent me the Smartcraft hours, 4.8!

Thanks y'all.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

2. Member
    I think i know the answer. But this is a good one for Don or some of the Pro's .

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    I think i know the answer. But this is a good one for Don or some of the Pro's .
    Well you're no help!!! Pass me some popcorn!
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

4. Moderator
    I think you're on the right track. It still needs to be broken in and all new fluids certainly makes sense.

5. Member
    Sitting for five years...I think I would squirt a bit of oil in each cylinder and turn by hand to coat the walls. Just an opinion.. I'm not a mechanic

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter Ed View Post
    Okay I have a chance to buy a 2015 Nitro with a 250 Pro XS that a friend of mine bought and basically never used. He is not sure if it is even broke in. So my question to you my Mercury gurus is this, what would you recommend be done to make it water ready? I am thinking fresh fuel and filters, lower unit, water pump, etc. Open for suggestions. He just sent me the Smartcraft hours, 4.8!

Thanks y'all.
    Take it to the Nitro dealer or LMC Marine just north of beltway 8 on 45N they are both mercury service center and next door to each other or go to Bowden Marine in Humble Tx
    2013 A211 250 Pro XS
    Bob"s 10" Action Series Hydraulic Jack Plate
    2-8' Power Poles

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopsLegend211 View Post
    Take it to the Nitro dealer or LMC Marine just north of beltway 8 on 45N they are both mercury service center and next door to each other or go to Bowden Marine in Humble Tx
    I talked to my Mercury guy this morning, got some good guidance.
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should definitely receive a COMPLETE service, filters, lube, water pump, and careful inspection of the entire engine and fuel system.

Given the length of time it has sat- wise to replace primer bulb, line from bulb to engine, and rebuild pulse fuel pump at the same time.

Also recommend strongly that it be CHECKED OUT (including CDS Printouts, Compression Test, Gearcase Check, Maintenance History/Needs Review, and Test run). Serial number may also provide some info.

Fuel system cleanliness would be one of my biggest concerns, and at least some level of hands-on (direct) inspection/testing/determination would be wise there.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Should definitely receive a COMPLETE service, filters, lube, water pump, and careful inspection of the entire engine and fuel system.

Given the length of time it has sat- wise to replace primer bulb, line from bulb to engine, and rebuild pulse fuel pump at the same time.

Also recommend strongly that it be CHECKED OUT (including CDS Printouts, Compression Test, Gearcase Check, Maintenance History/Needs Review, and Test run). Serial number may also provide some info.

Fuel system cleanliness would be one of my biggest concerns, and at least some level of hands-on (direct) inspection/testing/determination would be wise there.
    Don, thank you! Fortunately I have a very competent Merc guy in the area I trust. I thought about the serial number last night, I am going to get it sent to me.

One thing that confuses me, and it may be a Nitro thing, but the lower unit is black instead of gray. Not sure which lower it is. I had a 2013 with the TM1 lower.

Again thank you sir!
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There have been (3) three different gearcase series used on the 250 ProXS over the years (specifically the ProXS model). One of them was always black, another was black in the earlier years it was used (and later painted Silver).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There have been (3) three different gearcase series used on the 250 ProXS over the years (specifically the ProXS model). One of them was always black, another was black in the earlier years it was used (and later painted Silver).
    Thank you sir! I sent him your comments. The price on the boat is pretty attractive, he wants payoff!
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34