Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tundra towing fuel mileage

I'm going to purchase a newer used Tundra in the future. I will occasionally pull a 26' camper. What can I expect mileage to be?

2. Member
    POOR !!! LOL

3. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Their MPG sucks without pulling. They might measure by the FPG (feet per gallon) pulling

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

4. Member
    My buddy just tows his boat with his and can never pass up a gas station. Nice truck, but man does it suck down the gas!

What they said!
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

MPG may suck but...I have almost 95k miles, all I have done is replace a turn signal bulb.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

7. Member
    I've heard this also(second hand). My question is why would anyone buy 'em? Plenty of half tons that pull well

8. Member
    Not much different towing than any other half ton gas truck I’ve owned. I recently pulled a large bass boat from here to Nickajack and back (about a 5 hour pull) on a tank of gas. The 2016 and newer have a 38 gallon tank. When I’m pulling a large load I’ll drop to 5th gear. If it’s a really large load you have 4th gear which is a true 1-1 with a 4.30 rear end.

Pulling a TT I’d expect 10 mpg, a bass boat (I’ve pulled several sizes) expect between 11 and 12. I’ve averaged right at 15 mpg on two different Tundras. No cylinder shutoff or pushing a button to keep the engine running at red lights.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1212 View Post
    I've heard this also(second hand). My question is why would anyone buy 'em? Plenty of half tons that pull well

https://www.toyota.com/tundra/awards/

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    MPG may suck but...I have almost 95k miles, all I have done is replace a turn signal bulb.
    If you go look at actual mpg on all half tons the Tundra is about 2 mpg less than the best half ton gassers. IMO people that gripe about 2 mpg don’t need to be buying a pickup to fetch groceries LOL.

I bet your truck will bring over 60% of what you paid with 100,000 miles.

11. Member
    Silly question....what true BBCer would ever worry about gas mileage ?
    Wave Therapy

Mileage is poor with a boat. With a camper, awful.

13. Member
    I currently have 2005 tacoma with 225,000 miles.....other than the frame rust recall that was taken care of by Toyota a few years ago, I have not had any major problems. The truck still has a blue book value of $7,000ish. But priceless to me. My goal with that truck is to try to keep it around another 12 years to let me first son drive. The only reason to get a Tundra in the near future is the size of the back seat. All this said, "knock on wood".

14. Member
    I'm not worried about the mileage, just want to know what I can expect. If I was worried about mileage, I would buy a Prius.

15. Member
    If you want decent fuel milage towing buy a diesel. I'd suggest a older 5.9 cummins with a tune!

16. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose720 View Post
    I'm not worried about the mileage, just want to know what I can expect. If I was worried about mileage, I would buy a Prius.
    well then,,,,,,,,,, expect about 5,,, anything better than that should tickle you to death

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

17. Member
    I am no rocket scientist, but i would guess anywhere from 6 to 12. Quit racking my brain, bro.
    Wave Therapy

18. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

Pulling a 19 foot bass boat I get 12-13 pulling through the Ozark hills. Which is comparable to most half tons. Travel trailer, I would guess maybe 10 at the high end.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Not much different towing than any other half ton gas truck I’ve owned. I recently pulled a large bass boat from here to Nickajack and back (about a 5 hour pull) on a tank of gas. The 2016 and newer have a 38 gallon tank. When I’m pulling a large load I’ll drop to 5th gear. If it’s a really large load you have 4th gear which is a true 1-1 with a 4.30 rear end.

Pulling a TT I’d expect 10 mpg, a bass boat (I’ve pulled several sizes) expect between 11 and 12. I’ve averaged right at 15 mpg on two different Tundras. No cylinder shutoff or pushing a button to keep the engine running at red lights.
    I agree with this. I think the 38 gallon tank was an option not standard so make sure it has it if that's what you want. I've got the 26.4 gal in my '07 and wish I had the 38 but it wasn't available back then. Great truck though, you'll love it!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast