Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cell cams change the way i hunt

I got into the Cell cam game this year...I have 4 out and it is like an addiction...You are scouting/hunting all the time...I usually never get excited about really getting going until right at Halloween or a cpl days before...I had my cams out and was getting some decent pics of a few different deer. 1 in particular i got 4 pics of and 2 of them were during shooting light....Well...I had to try it...the next morning i went out and climbed in my stand...button buck came out about 1 hour after light and about 10 minutes later, he came out to a little water hole in a creek bed about 42 yards away from me...squeezed it off and he dropped about 6 feet from where he was shot....First year shooting Grim Reaper Razor tips, and their logo stands tru "Watch em drop"...Would have been a dandy next year as he was lacking some mass but had a ton of character and being dumb like he was, he wouldnt have made it to next year around my area... Its starting to heat up in Illinois...get out here and getcha some...

Screenshot_20201012-095809_Tactacam Reveal.jpg20201011_111831.jpg
    Last edited by chadw; 10-19-2020 at 03:29 PM.

2. Member
    I'm not a fan of technology hunting. Takes the sport out of it and eliminates the need for skill. If it's what you have to do, feel free but like so many other things in life, the easy way isn't always the best way. I'd much rather spend the necessary time in the woods to out think my prey away from all the technology and enjoy nature with the hope of success.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
    I'm not a fan of technology hunting. Takes the sport out of it and eliminates the need for skill. If it's what you have to do, feel free but like so many other things in life, the easy way isn't always the best way. I'd much rather spend the necessary time in the woods to out think my prey away from all the technology and enjoy nature with the hope of success.
    Do you have sonar on your boat?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chadw View Post
    Do you have sonar on your boat?
    Apples and oranges. The fish I catch for the most part are released unharmed. The animals I kill are for food and not just sport.

5. Member
    Whatever makes you feel good...

6. Member
    Nice deer! What cell cams are you using?

7. Member
    Tactacam Reveals

The property we hunt has them and my friend has them sent to his phone and you would be amazed at how many times there are deer there in the afternoon just not evenings and nights. The tuff part is you have something to do and can't go and your phones buzzing showing pictures deer at you your stand.

Guess I wasted all my time and money on topo maps, and scouting. To each his own, congrats on a nice buck. I sure do miss simpler times.

10. Member
    Very nice deer. Son bought one Reveal and it is interesting to see what is happening while we are at work.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    Guess I wasted all my time and money on topo maps, and scouting. To each his own, congrats on a nice buck. I sure do miss simpler times.
    You have no idea what your talking about...This is family land i have hunted for 35 years, I can tell you where every rock, stick, hill, hump etc is on this land...I know where the deer travel and have killed big dear yearly without these cams...These are just another tool...Nice to see whats there, without going out and stinking up teh woods to pull cards etc...You guys gotta lighten up a bit and live a little, damn...I remember now why i left this place...

12. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Congrats on the harvesting your buck and the story with it.

I see no reason for a few of these comments here, my thoughts if you do not agree with how someone wants to hunt so be it and move on.
    LeaLea

13. Member
    Damn I need to get one seeing as how it seems these guys think it makes killing big deer easy!
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    Damn I need to get one seeing as how it seems these guys think it makes killing big deer easy!
    Yea..no shit...dont cha know, there is one behind every tree in Central Illinois...

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    Congrats on the harvesting your buck and the story with it.

I see no reason for a few of these comments here, my thoughts if you do not agree with how someone wants to hunt so be it and move on.
    Tks Wags!

16. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    I believe it's time for everyone to move on here.
    LeaLea

17. Member
    I have been using the spypoint micro for a few years now definitely fun to wake up in the morning to see what deer have traveled in front of the camera. I normally run Duracell batteries well ran out of them normally last a while. Had some Energizer batteries and they died after 3 days maybe a bad batch of batteries but wont be buying them anymore. What batteries are you running?? I'd like to get the 12v to try out soon

18. Member
    I run 5 spypoints had few issues but keeping software updated helps. I run lithium energizers primarily but few times in a pinch on standard batteries of either brand. I run 3 12v setups anytime their over corn. That being said ill get 7-10 days on thT but it's alot of pics. Lithium AAs last me month or so over decently traveled trails

You will see deer that you never knew were there. It will add to the excitement wondering if the big boy on camera will come by today.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Quote Originally Posted by chadw View Post
    I got into the Cell cam game this year...I have 4 out and it is like an addiction...You are scouting/hunting all the time...I usually never get excited about really getting going until right at Halloween or a cpl days before...I had my cams out and was getting some decent pics of a few different deer. 1 in particular i got 4 pics of and 2 of them were during shooting light....Well...I had to try it...the next morning i went out and climbed in my stand...button buck came out about 1 hour after light and about 10 minutes later, he came out to a little water hole in a creek bed about 42 yards away from me...squeezed it off and he dropped about 6 feet from where he was shot....First year shooting Grim Reaper Razor tips, and their logo stands tru "Watch em drop"...Would have been a dandy next year as he was lacking some mass but had a ton of character and being dumb like he was, he wouldnt have made it to next year around my area... Its starting to heat up in Illinois...get out here and getcha some...

Screenshot_20201012-095809_Tactacam Reveal.jpg20201011_111831.jpg
    Congrats on a great buck ChadW! Beautiful deer! Why some hunters want to dog other hunters is beyond me. What’s it matter if you used a camera or not? Why should anyone care one way or another? As long as you’re legal and have fun then that’s all that matters. Don’t pay any attention to them. There’s a saying that I like: Keep your mouth shut and let people think you’re an idiot or open your mouth and prove it! Seems to apply to some in this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast