rduzac

Livewell draining on plane

Something I'm not used to from my previous boat, but while on plane in the 20FX my livewells will empty.
    Is this something I have to get used to and remember to close the switch before moving between spots.

What is your common practice?

Thanks,
    Rene

2. Member
    You should have a live-well switch that will say open or closed. When you have fish in the live-well you close this and use the live-well recirculator and Aerator, plus Oxygenator if you have one. When you leave this switched to open it will drain the water until you come off plane and stop. Easiest way to control it, is leave open until you start putting fish in the live-well. Once You start adding fish then close the live-well valve and Turn on re-circ and Aerator.

3. rduzac
    Thanks,

So in the summer I should probably occasionally when stopping at the next spot open back up and turn to on to refresh with what is hopefully cooler water.

4. Member
    You can do that, absolutely. Just remember to shut it when you get back on big motor to move spots.. Make sure you leave the Aerator on.

5. Member
    There's no need to turn the knob back to open during the day.

There is an overflow drain at the top of the livewell and as you pump more fresh water in the extra just goes out the drain and into the lake. Keep the valve closed while you have fish.

6. Member
    Agreed, another option

7. Member
    what happened to catch and release?

8. Member
    LOL, can’t afford to do that in a tourney as long as they are legal....

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Skeeter View Post
    LOL, can’t afford to do that in a tourney as long as they are legal....
    You catch legal fish in a Tourney??????........ seems to be the only times I can't catch one!!!!!

You’re actually better off with the valve closed all day
    With the over flow your livewell will have a higher level of water in it then with the valve open while fishing

And if you ever run rough water with fish in the wells you want as much water in there as possible
    "The handicapped angler"

11. Member
    Keep your valve closed all day on tourney day. I don’t aerate unless at the boat ramp before weigh in. The wells are on pump in timer. Keeps the water fresh
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO

12. Member
    Here's my $.02. I want all the water in my live wells I can get and don't want water I have iced and treated getting out until I decide.

I've plugged the outlet holes in my live wells to make that happen. Plugs came with the boat, so I'm not the only one.

Timing depending on the weather, but every once in a while, I'll pump out about half, maybe more, of the water, refill, re-ice if needed, and re-treat.

You do have pay attention when filling the live wells. Once they are full, the water will cover up the spray head, soak the back deck, and fill up the bilge surprisingly fast. Not a big deal unless you forget. Once the auto bilge kicks in, you'll remember.

Obviously, I keep the valve closed.
    Last edited by MCIPinkie; 10-25-2020 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Add

13. Member
    Close valve and keep fresh water running I less you need to treat a fish, then do the recirc to keep ice/treatment in. Also recirc if driving for an extended period as it can’t pick up water on plane without an aftermarket piece. About the only time fresh water doesn’t do enough is if it’s extremely hot or you have a fish in bad shape. Add VT-2 system to your livewell, the fish will thank you for it.

14. Member
    I added plugs into the overflow tubes at the top back of the live-wells of my FXR like I did on my ZX and it no longer drains when running and I can fill it to the top of the lid if needed.

I will say if you don't do this and it's rough our the live-well will only have a few inches left in it on a long run...just an FYI. I know you can always turn the fill button on while running and it will help but I do not like to pump new water in once filled.