Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A better keeper for your plastics

In case you missed this in the Lounge...

Turns out that necessity is not the mother of invention. Being CHEAP is the mother of invention and here's the proof!

Recently I have been using some Z Man baits made from their super stretchy Elaztech material that makes their plastic baits last a long time. I often use Mend-It to repair plastics made from plastisol, but it will not work on Elaztech plastic. I have been trying to figure out how to repair some of the Elaztech baits that developed an enlarged hole where the hook shank exits the bait just below the head. This enlarged hole made the bait often slide down the hook, messing up the cast. Otherwise, the bait is still in good shape and could be used again and again, but I needed to figure out how to keep the bait rigged correctly. I dozed off late this afternoon in my recliner and my mind solved the problem for me. As soon as this idea came to me, I woke up and went down to my workbench and solved the problem.

I remember reading in an old Bassmaster about using these as keepers for trailer hooks. So, I made some but didn't care for how they worked and stuffed them in a box with other assorted fishing "good" ideas that didn't pan out. But, it turns out that they work great to keep a plastic bait from sliding down the hook.

I punched these black disks out of a coffee can lid with a hole punch and then put a small hole in the middle with a punch. When the hole is created, it bevels the disk so that it fits flush against the bait so that it won't catch on wood or weeds. When re-rigging, just cut the disk off the hook with line cutters and install another one. I tried using one on a jig hook to keep the trailer in place and it also works great for that application. I also made some using a clear plastic lid, but you could use any other color to match a bait's color (if you think that would make a difference).

I plan to use these on all of my plastics, not just Elaztech baits. They shall be forever known as Jeff's Cheap Ass Keepers!

IMG_1328.JPGIMG_1329.JPGIMG_1333.JPG
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

2. Member
    That will do it!

Great Idea !!! Thanks for sharing !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

I still use those for trailer hooks and now another use if needed

Great idea Jeff!

7. Member
    Store them on a Safety Pin.

8. Member
    Great idea!
    Because I was running out of baits, I used a lighter (windproof works best) to close up the rips on zman baits. I tried it on the white pearl z too's and baby z too's I was drop shotting with and it worked great! It didn't discolor it either. Being able to slightly open the rip a bit helps melt it together...Just be careful doing it!

9. Member

I like that...heck of an idea

11. Moderator
    That works

12. Member
    Awesome idea.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr8 Idea ! Thanks for sharing.
    I think there's a Squatch in these woods !
    "I rough talked em"

14. Member
    I make mine out of old milk bottles. Use them for trailer hook keepers also.

TIP: Punch the hole with a nail or a punch before you punch them out. Makes it a lot easier.

I've got a 6 inch square piece of milk bottle that will probably last me the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    I make mine out of old milk bottles. Use them for trailer hook keepers also.

TIP: Punch the hole with a nail or a punch before you punch them out. Makes it a lot easier.

I've got a 6 inch square piece of milk bottle that will probably last me the rest of my life.
    Good Idea! I’m going to save the next one and give it a try!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

16. Member
    That great invention you created happens to sound like the HookPal. Been around for a while.

17. Member
    I'm going to try this. I have always kept a bag of skirt collars in the boat that I would thread on to the hook to keep the bait in place.
    I'm sure a scrap of rubber punched out like this may work well also.
    Thanks

18. Member
    Great idea. A hot pin or nail will punch the holes, also.

19. Member
    I like it. Ideas usually pip up just as your about fall asleep. This has been proven by medical experts. Thus the saying "sleep on it". Thanks for sharing this.

20. Member
    Create minds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast