Loose steering after DPS module replacement

I'm trying to understand what is going on with my 200HO G2. It was in the shop for a steering code that ultimately resulted in the DPS module being replaced. It took a couple trips to diagnose that issue which was extremely frustrating. I got the boat back and there was a lot of play in the motor. Meaning I could swing it side to side by pushing on it with one finger. Brought it back and they bled the system and when I picked it up everything was tight. By the time I got the boat back home (30 minutes), the play in the motor had returned. I brought it back to the shop again this morning. This is a Platinum Evinrude dealer so I didn't expect I'd encounter so much back and fourth. Any ideas of what's causing this?

Model: H200HXAH
    Serial: 05525845

2. Member
    How much swing? There is normal amount of side to side movement.

3. Member
    Not normal. Multiple inches each way.

4. Member
    Loose steering is usually caused by air in the steering system, you need to makes sure they are bleeding the steering with a power purge and have the engine fully trimmed down. Replacement of a DPS module is pretty much plug and play, it the the brain of the system and to replace that alone requires no attention to the actual hydraulics of the steering system.
    Last edited by Huey; 10-19-2020 at 09:23 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    Loose steering is usually caused by air in the steering system, you need to makes sure they are bleeding the steering with a power purge and have the engine fully trimmed down. Replacement of a DPS module is pretty much play and play, it the the brain of the system and to replaced that alone requires no attention to the actual hydraulics of the steering system.
    ++ to Huey.

6. Member
    Strange, I didn't realize they were not related since the "play" occurred after the DPS replacement. The shop power purged it the first time and it didn't solve the problem.