Thread: Noisy Talons

Noisy Talons

Hi all,

I have an older set of 8ft. Talons (2014) on my boat. They have been getting louder and louder over time. I have the tilt brackets so I lay them down and extend them completely and use aluminum spray to lubricate the sliding mechanism. Does anyone have any other procedures I could do to silence these down a little bit?

Thanks in advance!
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he spends $60,000 on a boat and releases all the fish.

2. Member
    I do not know what Aluminum spray is, but you should be using Pledge, It had a good lubricant in it. that is probably why it is noisey. No lubrication.

3. Member
    Sorry for being vague. I'm using aluminum lubricant. The motors are pretty noisy as well. I've removed the plastic top and cleaned/lubricated it. They improve a little bit, but nothing permanent. I've called MinnKota and to be honest, they didn't help me. They said sorry, we don't support those any longer. If I have to buy new anchors, I'm buying Power Poles. Had them on previous boats and the customer service is top notch.
    IMG_7037.jpg
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he spends $60,000 on a boat and releases all the fish.

That says no silicones, so how is it a lubricant? I have Talons also and I was wondering what the best lubricant is for them.

5. Member
    LOL. That's probably why it's not working.

6. Member
    [QUOTE=ernie_diaz;11439023]Sorry for being vague. I'm using aluminum lubricant. The motors are pretty noisy as well. I've removed the plastic top and cleaned/lubricated it. They improve a little bit, but nothing permanent. I've called MinnKota and to be honest, they didn't help me. They said sorry, we don't support those any longer. If I have to buy new anchors, I'm buying Power Poles. Had them on previous boats and the customer service is top notch.
    IMG_7037.jpg[/QUOTE
    surprised to hear that response from them. I had the same issue and there customer service advised me to use pledge on mine. I’ve had no problems since I’ve started using it.

7. Member
    Thanks for the response! Pledge it is then. How often do you apply it? I'm assuming you fully extend the poles and spray everything.

8. Member
    As stated above I have not seen this stuff, but I would still use Pledge.
    Depending on the type of water, bottom, and how much you use it. I would lub more often(4th or 5th trip) if you used a lot. It should be flushed after every use by going to deeper water and extending the spike and part of second stage and then idle around a bit. Two or three minutes.
    To apply the pledge, extend the Talon all the way out and then make sure the slots on the second stage is free of grime, sand, or mud.
    Apply the pledge to the slots on both sides of the second stage, then run it in and out a couple of times.
    I have not worked on any in awhile, but major parts are obsolete. Motor, control board, extrusions. ASC can still work on them to find out if it is fixable.
    Last edited by Bradrodfish; 10-20-2020 at 07:01 AM.

9. Member
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it shot today.

10. Member
    I use a silicone spray lubricant that i got at ace hardware. Works good.

11. Member
    I have Gen 1 10' Talon and when the second stage deploys it makes a pretty significant noise and kinda jumps/shakes, like something is hanging up inside the unit. When I tilt it horizontal and extend it there is no noise and super smooth. Any ideas? I lubricated everything including taking the top off and lubing there.

12. Member
    I use wd-40 on my gen 2’s...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 Elite203 View Post
    I use wd-40 on my gen 2’s...
    wkrichard: I would say the one of the gibs are loose. I would bring it to an ASC to see if that is the case.

98 Elite203: Minn Kota does not recommend WD40 nor do I. WD40 will make plastic brittle and is not good for lubricating the Talon. It may work for a while, but when you least expect it it will fail. Pledge is what is recommended.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    wkrichard: I would say the one of the gibs are loose. I would bring it to an ASC to see if that is the case.

98 Elite203: Minn Kota does not recommend WD40 nor do I. WD40 will make plastic brittle and is not good for lubricating the Talon. It may work for a while, but when you least expect it it will fail. Pledge is what is recommended.
    Bradrodfish: I found the upper floating GIB in the bottom of the housing, thanks for the advice. Being a mechanically inclined person who likes to work on my own stuff. Any thoughts on how hard it is to replace the upper floating gib? I couldn't find any videos online so I'm thinking this is not something the boat owner would do. PXL_20201024_151842420.jpg

15. Member
    That gib does not look like a floating gib. Does it have round slots on the back side not shown. If so then it is a floating gib and has 2 springs that also need to be located. They may still be inside the talon. There are certain tools required to help with the tare down and reassemble. I would try to get it to an ASC. They should be able to help you. The gibbs are still available.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    That gib does not look like a floating gib. Does it have round slots on the back side not shown. If so then it is a floating gib and has 2 springs that also need to be located. They may still be inside the talon. There are certain tools required to help with the tare down and reassemble. I would try to get it to an ASC. They should be able to help you. The gibbs are still available.
    It has the holes in the other side. I also found one of the two springs so I would need to buy new ones. I will look to get it in to a service center soon.