What's Behind Gunwale?

Hi. I plan on adding some t-slot to my 2003 Tracker Pro Team 185.

Does anyone know how thick the gunwale aluminum is, and what is behind it?

I'll be mounting the t-slot to the inside side of the gunwale, similar to where Versatrack is located

Thanks

2. Member
    Mine had rod holders from a previous owner and they were removed before I got it. It appears to be hollow, I would guess at least half way, thick enough to hold good sheet metal screws. I have never poked anything in there to actually measure it but I can if you want me to.

3. Member
    No, knowing it's hollow is enough (I was hoping there was more back there, like the transom). Going to drill a hole in it anyway, and based on thickness, it will determine what screws and diameter I'll be using. I don't think I'll need a rivet nut.

4. Member
    Down the insides of mine appear to be about 1/8 in or so thick, just by feeling the depth of the side of the hole. Hard to really measure it.

5. Member
    Take off a cleat and use a small wire to feel around through the screw hole. I bought a endoscope off Amazon for just a few bucks. It helps me see in places like that before making a mistake.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6. Member
    Thanks. I have one too, but 5mm is a pretty big hole. I like your wire idea

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VAKNCO View Post
    Thanks. I have one too, but 5mm is a pretty big hole. I like your wire idea
    I had a boat once that I didn't want to drill holes in. I always wanted a downrigger and rod holders. Took me four years to finally mount the stuff I wanted. Years later I sold it and bought a new boat. I drilled holes in it before it ever got wet!