Is this serious?

Just wondering how this would affect performance and stability and if it is an expensive fix?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Anti-ventilation plate does serve a function.

What engine is this on?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    2013 200hp optimax

4. Member
    I have broke that piece twice over the years. Usually a prop shop can weld a replacement piece, you can never tell it broken

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to see the side of that area- it appears there is a fracture that is traveling towards the mating surface and hardware (if so, I would not personally consider welding).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Need to see the side of that area- it appears there is a fracture that is traveling towards the mating surface and hardware (if so, I would not personally consider welding).
    So it’s actually on a boat I am considering purchasing and the owner told me the piece had been broken off for several years. I do see what you mean about the crack towards the back.