Tach still acting up

OG362421 96 200 efi

Where to start......End of last year my tach started flaking out so i bought the dash upgrade from basscat (thought it may be the super dash finally shitting the bed) installed it and tach was still messed up. Had a shop look at it and they said it was a bad tach (they tested with a new one and it worked) so i put in a new tach. Still doing it after about 3min of idling. I checked the back to make sure it was set at the right pulses and it was. Read a bit on here and found that it could be the regulators. found charred wires and burnt connectors so i bought 2 and replaced them and the connectors (cdi not oem). Tach started to work, im thinking great i got it. I take it out next weekend working great after about 10mins of idling it flakes out again (jumping all over) so i switch the grey wires and jumped on pad after about 30mins does same thing. Battery seemed to be charging fine so idt its the regulators? So i get home jump on here do more reading and find out I do not want dual purpose battery for this motor. So i buy the napa battery on here that recommended and take boat out this past weekend and tach does the same. I guess my question is. Could the regulators gotten fried because of the dual purpose battery i had in there. Could it be something as dumb as a bad Water temp sensor (read that somewhere on here). Im at a loss here idk what to do.

2. Member
    Maybe check regulator output and maybe also check the stator for any visible problems. Stator generates the power for the regulators and the regulators step the voltage down for the batteries. I have read where new regulators (most times non-oem) stop working out of the box. Check your voltage at idle and at speed. I don’t think the DP battery itself would have fried the new regulators that quick, but you are definitely right to have changed it.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Okay i went out and checked somethings tonight

yellow to yellow on top reg=OL
    RtR on top reg =OL

YtY bottom reg =OL
    RtR bottom reg =4.06m

grey to ground on both were in the 400's

top Yellow stator wires= .3
    top Red stator =.2
    Bottom yellow= .3
    Bottom Red = .0

So im guessing the regs are fried. which they both are new and when go to buy more i dont want to have them get blown so, I took some readings from the back of the tach cause i feel like something else is going on.

With keyswitch in off position
    Black to purple =0 v dc
    Purple to white = 0 v dc
    Purp to grey =7.6 v dc
    Black to grey = 7.6 v dc
    Black to white = 0 v dc
    Grey to white = 7.6 v dc

With keyswitch on
    Purple to black 12.8v dc
    Purple to grey 4.5v dc
    Purple to white 12.8v dc
    Black to white 0v dc
    Black to grey 8.3 v dc
    Grey to white 8.3 v dc

Looking at the stator i dont see any obvious burnt spots IDK where to go from here...... Any help would be greatly appreciated

Im going to bite the bullet and buy two of these https://www.boats.net/product/mercur...857bc8d9cdee97 If for some reason these blow what would cause that? I know what B.O.A.T. stands for but really hate just throwing money away.