Batteries for 2001 - 200HP Big Block V6 carb Johnson

My mechanic tells me I should be using (2) starter batteries instead of (1) starter and (1) deep cycle. Is this common for the big motors?

Thanks,
    Rick

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I prefer one big battery of at least 900+ cca. Less weight to carry and no need for two unless you are running a ton of electronics..
    I do however believe in not mixing batteries.....
    Last edited by Bassmeister; 10-19-2020 at 09:22 AM.

I got the same engine, only have one 1000cca battery for it. Works fine.

4. Member
    Thank you Gentlemen.
    I run on Lake Erie and sometimes 20 miles offshore in cold water, April through November. I know with the newer jumper boxes, if I had a problem, that would probably get me started. I do agree one battery with less weight makes sense, but old habits are hard to break.

Best Regards,
    Rick

5. Member
    unless you run them fully isolated i don't see the point of two starter batteries for one motor. one bad battery will drag the other one down. i assume your motor has no auxiliary charger circuit so if you isolate them, you want to alternate which battery you use.

6. Member
    Yes they are isolated with a switch and I never run them at same time. So I run #2 on way out, then #1 on way back. The house power comes from #2 also which is why I run it first.

Thanks,
    Rick

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickerd View Post
    Yes they are isolated with a switch and I never run them at same time. So I run #2 on way out, then #1 on way back. The house power comes from #2 also which is why I run it first.

Thanks,
    Rick
    i thought in the first post you said you had a starter and a deep cycle? do you mean you start first off the deep cycle house and only use the starter coming home? that seems odd.

the only reason to have two starters is to have two batteries that will start your boat in case one fails. if your deep cycle starts the boat i guess you can do that instead and it will handle the house draw better. best of both worlds.

8. Member
    I used to have a starter/deep cycle in one battery. Then I switched to 2 starter batteries. Yes so If one doesn't work, you have the other to rely on.
    My mechanic said no deep cycle batteries on a Johnson big block.
    Rickerd

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickerd View Post
    I used to have a starter/deep cycle in one battery. Then I switched to 2 starter batteries. Yes so If one doesn't work, you have the other to rely on.
    My mechanic said no deep cycle batteries on a Johnson big block.
    Rickerd
    sorry, misunderstood the original post.