Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prescription Costas. WoW$

I am wanting to get some prescription Polarized glasses and I’m looking at Costas. I checked em out on SportRX and by the time I add everything up they are gonna be $700-$800. I stopped at my local optometrist and looked at some WileyX (they don’t sell Costas) and that was what they were in that same price range and I thought that was insane and figure online would be way less expensive.

The ones I’m using now are from Costco and though they are not fishing glasses, they are polarized and were around $250. The problem is that they are not a wraparound style frame so they let a lot of light in so I thought I would look into some true fishing glasses. I just didn’t know they were gonna cost that much. I would rather buy once/cry once if that’s what it takes to get what I need but figured I would see if there are and less expensive options for some top notch glasses for sight fishing next spring.

it also seems like I can not get prescription Costas with glass lenses, which is disappointing. How scratch resistant are the poly lenses? Any input appreciated as far as lenses, coatings....

2. Member
    I buy WileyX from my eye doc , and have him add readers to them.
    I' ll have to ask him the cost.
    That sounds way high to me

Check with your eye doc. Since I needed Rx, my insurance paid. I ended up paying $120 for mine with my progressive bifocal
    2021 Skeeter Zx225
    2021 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Ultrex 112# w/ Ipilot
    Helix 12 Mega+SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ DI
    Helix 9 Chirp/GPS
    Garmin 1222 w/ LSV32
    Ionic Lithium

4. Member
    I just bought a pair of prescription Wiley X from Frames Direct. The Wiley X lenses are 50% off. I got my glasses with progressive lenses for about $360. They are the actual Wiley X DIGIFORCE lenses. They also have great customer service. I am very pleased.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintworx View Post
    I can not get prescription Costas with glass lenses, which is disappointing. How scratch resistant are the poly lenses? Any input appreciated as far as lenses, coatings....
    I wouldn't get the glass lenses for fishing. The next time you launch a lure at your eyeball, you'll know why. The poly lenses are great and I have had no issues with scratches. BUT, I do not use the wipes to clean them. I run warm water over them to knock off the dust and then use a little soap and clean fingers to take off the grease of the day. I have even done this in warm lake water with no scratches after two years.

I buy Oakley and Costa through SportRx.com and use promo codes to knock the price WAY down. Usually you can get 20% off, last time I got 50% off with a promo code and my insurance.

No cheap, but when you can see through the water like superman, it's worth it.

6. Member
    I ordered a pair of Maui Jim Rx and a pair of Costa Rx from RportRx earlier this year and was able to use my HSA to pay for them.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintworx View Post
    I am wanting to get some prescription Polarized glasses and I’m looking at Costas. I checked em out on SportRX and by the time I add everything up they are gonna be $700-$800. I stopped at my local optometrist and looked at some WileyX (they don’t sell Costas) and that was what they were in that same price range and I thought that was insane and figure online would be way less expensive.

The ones I’m using now are from Costco and though they are not fishing glasses, they are polarized and were around $250. The problem is that they are not a wraparound style frame so they let a lot of light in so I thought I would look into some true fishing glasses. I just didn’t know they were gonna cost that much. I would rather buy once/cry once if that’s what it takes to get what I need but figured I would see if there are and less expensive options for some top notch glasses for sight fishing next spring.

it also seems like I can not get prescription Costas with glass lenses, which is disappointing. How scratch resistant are the poly lenses? Any input appreciated as far as lenses, coatings....
    I was going to do the same thing and get Rx sunglasses but then I looked at the Cocoons (fit over your regular glasses) and they were very nice looking and fit extremely well. So I tried them. They are very comfortable and are polarized. You can get a pair of grey polarized for general use and an amber polarized lens for early morning and evening for far far less than one pair of RX sunglasses. I never thought I would like them but now that I have them I can attest to how great and functional they are. Wear the Cocoons over your regular Rx glasses and then just take them off and you are wearing your regular glasses. No need to switch from the Rx sunglasses to your regular Rx glasses. https://cocoonseyewear.com/lenses/

8. Banned
    If You could squeak through using 'Readers' You can find Costa™ Readers for $70 ..

did You check WarbyParker.com?

9. Scraps
    Just bought a pair from GlassesUSA for under $400. The lenses are not Costa but assume they'll be OK. This to replace a pair of Oakley's from SportRX that I just don't like.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    If You could squeak through using 'Readers' You can find Costa™ Readers for $70 ..

did You check WarbyParker.com?
    I wear the Costa 2.0 C-Mates. I caught mine on sale for 120'sh? 70.00 would be a no brainer if the OP can get away with readers.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I wear the Costa 2.0 C-Mates. I caught mine on sale for 120'sh? 70.00 would be a no brainer if the OP can get away with readers.

Steep&Cheap™ they were $68.74 I bought 2 pair and I upped the second pair so I could 'grow into them' and my eyesight devolves where they'll work...

12. Member
    I got a pair of costa prescription 700.00 and the rubber came off the nose piece and they would anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUDVM View Post
    I was going to do the same thing and get Rx sunglasses but then I looked at the Cocoons (fit over your regular glasses) and they were very nice looking and fit extremely well. So I tried them. They are very comfortable and are polarized. You can get a pair of grey polarized for general use and an amber polarized lens for early morning and evening for far far less than one pair of RX sunglasses. I never thought I would like them but now that I have them I can attest to how great and functional they are. Wear the Cocoons over your regular Rx glasses and then just take them off and you are wearing your regular glasses. No need to switch from the Rx sunglasses to your regular Rx glasses. https://cocoonseyewear.com/lenses/
    i got a pair of cocoons and they work pretty well

just had five different sunglass frames come in from warby parker and will probably get them in my prescription for under $200

14. Member
    Had 2 pair of Costas with the poly lens and bifocal with no issues with scratches but I always kept them in a case and used a strap. Last pair, 4 years ago, cost me 450 and need another pair now after eye surgery to remove cataracts and glaucoma procedure which drastically improved my vision to the point I am wearing regular sunglasses to fish.

15. Member
    I can get away with just using readers to tie knots because my far away vision is not too bad. But when I put my progressives on its kinda like HD compared to not wearing them. And then there’s the hassle of taking of non prescription sun glasses and putting on readers to tie or look at my phone....and then back to suns..... The main reason I started wearing glasses is because I hate keeping track of readers and I am screwed without em. Cocoons sound fine but I think I would rather just stick to the polarized sunglasses I got at Costco which work fine I suppose. I just remember how nice my Hobie sightmaster lenses were for sight fishing and I want something with a fishing lens and a wrap around Fran that blocks out light from the sides better than what I have.

16. Scraps
    I have a pair of Mauis with readers. They've been fine for about four years. But now looking at the console fishfinder more, I wanted a pair with a full script. With the readers I was having to lean forward a lot to view the finder. I have a screwy progressive script. I was tired of the reader lines obscuring my vision.
    2017 Phoenix 819

17. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Just bought a pair from GlassesUSA for under $400. The lenses are not Costa but assume they'll be OK. This to replace a pair of Oakley's from SportRX that I just don't like.
    I got these yesterday. They are Costa frames. The lense options do not include the Costa options, like I wanted the green mirrored. Have not had them out in the sun yet.
    2017 Phoenix 819

18. Member
    My local walmart sells some glasses with the letters DVX, I think, but they say wiley x on the inside. Has anyone tried them.I'm going to check them out next week.
    Wes

19. Member
    just ordered and have received Wiley X prescription sun glasses, polarlized, anti-scratch, etc. for $600.

Best price i have found the prescription Costas for is $600 - they are pricey but I absolutely love them. I highly recommend getting the Omni fit nosepiece which you can’t get on non-Rx Costas. It is so much better than the stock nosepiece but you have to ask fir it.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast