Question Hartman’s Dakota Lithium

I’ve searched the forum looking for the answer to what exactly happened to the lithium battery that put Hartman in a tailspin on Champlain. I read that he “blew” a battery, but I would like to know what exactly that means and what caused it to happen. Curious I guess.

I’m in the market for three lithium’s for my TM and Dakota has a great price and great warranty. Just a little nervous about this whole deal on Champlain without understanding what happened.

Anyone know?

2. Member
    Well, I emailed Dakota Lithium and what I got was "it was an issue with his power pole charge charger" and "power pole has an issue they know about with regards to using this product with any lithium battery". I'm still not sure what happened specifically, but its possible that Jamie's battery bank saw an overvoltage or exceeded the max charge rate which lead to the pack shutting down and locking out. Just a theory…

I don't have hard data to back up this response, but it is a response from Dakota. I'll have to do more research on the issues folks are having with the PP Charge unit and its compatibility with lithium batteries.

All in all, they told me if I'm not using the PP Charge then I wont have his issue. For what its worth.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmdubya View Post
    Well, I emailed Dakota Lithium and what I got was "it was an issue with his power pole charge charger" and "power pole has an issue they know about with regards to using this product with any lithium battery". I'm still not sure what happened specifically, but its possible that Jamie's battery bank saw an overvoltage or exceeded the max charge rate which lead to the pack shutting down and locking out. Just a theory…

I don't have hard data to back up this response, but it is a response from Dakota. I'll have to do more research on the issues folks are having with the PP Charge unit and its compatibility with lithium batteries.

All in all, they told me if I'm not using the PP Charge then I wont have his issue. For what its worth.
    Is there website working again? That really turned me off from them when I was looking and doing research on them. I could get on the website 1 in 20 tries.

Shit I'm surprised you got a reply from DL, living in the same state as them and can't get a line of communication open is a killer to me.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Shit I'm surprised you got a reply from DL, living in the same state as them and can't get a line of communication open is a killer to me.
    Yea I can’t get them to answer the phone, but I got an email response. I wonder if their office is just closed due to COVID. I won’t buy a set of batteries until I talk to someone.

I've got a set of 54 AH in my boat. Three in series for 36 Volt.

Ordered in May, backordered until June (I knew this going in). Shipped a day earlier than expected. Came with chargers.

Batteries work fine and I haven't had any issues. Alligator clips on the batteries are smaller than I'd like, but that's minor.

Got all three with chargers for less than $1250 shipped to my door. No complaints. Bought them after talking with them at the Classic Expo.
    Wishing I was Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Bmdubya View Post
    Yea I can’t get them to answer the phone, but I got an email response. I wonder if their office is just closed due to COVID. I won’t buy a set of batteries until I talk to someone.
    Been like this since pre-rona. Hell I'm surprised you got an email.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    We have tons of customers using the Power Pole charge on all sorts of brands of lithiums , with zero issues. This includes Dakotas. Were one of Power Poles top dealers and I can tell you if there was an issue that power pole knew about with the charge and lithiums we would know about it.. What I have heard however is another marine dealership having nothing but problems with dakota lithium batteries and problems on getting them to warranty them after 1 to 2 years no less 10. Im not saying there a bad product as I have no first hand knowledge im just sharing what ive heard from a very large , reputable marine dealer first hand. I used to sponsor Jamie ill see if I can ask him myself.

9. Member
    Can you share the marine dealership who has had problems so potential customers are aware? Thank you.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Feel free to pm me..

11. Member
    Quick question on the charge.....Can it charge multiple battery types? Example, agm cranking and lithium trolling?

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    We have tons of customers using the Power Pole charge on all sorts of brands of lithiums , with zero issues. This includes Dakotas. Were one of Power Poles top dealers and I can tell you if there was an issue that power pole knew about with the charge and lithiums we would know about it.. What I have heard however is another marine dealership having nothing but problems with dakota lithium batteries and problems on getting them to warranty them after 1 to 2 years no less 10. Im not saying there a bad product as I have no first hand knowledge im just sharing what ive heard from a very large , reputable marine dealer first hand. I used to sponsor Jamie ill see if I can ask him myself.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Yes it can take any combination of battery types...

13. Member
    [QUOTE Example, agm cranking and lithium trolling?[/QUOTE]
    This is my setup... X2 AGM and 3 lithiums for the trolling motor.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades