Thread: Suzuki problem

Suzuki problem

I have a brand new suzuki 150ss. It starts just fine first thing but as the day goes on it starts to act up. I will turn the key and the only thing I get is a constant beep and I hear something in the engine (maybe a fuel pump) but it doesn't crank. After several attempts it will finally crank and start right up. Any thoughts?

2. Member
    Yes. Wait until the beep stops before trying to start it.
    Read your damn owners manual it tells you the proper break-in sequence and if you do not follow it, it won't run.

3. Member
    On my 200ss you don't hold the key in the start position. You simply turn it to the start position then release it. The motor will start after it goes through the starting sequence.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

4. Banned
    turn key to on position, without starting it, and you'll hear a long beep.....after beep stops, turn key further, and let go, and outboard will start. No need to hold key in start position (can damage starter), it'll start on it's own.......in other words, read your manual.

5. Member
    Unless there is a several minute delay it doesn't start. The engine literally does not start sometimes or even attempt to turn over whether I wait for the beep to end or not, Ive tried both. The only thing I will hear is what I believe to be is the fuel pump. It will take several attempts sometimes. To me I think this is more of a starter, engine/throttle position sensor, ignition switch type issue, not anything to do with breaking in an engine.

On a side note, while this is my first Suzuki I don't see how breaking in a engine has any correlation to the thing not attempting to crank, but I did follow the owners manual for breaking it in.

6. Member
    Take it to the DEALER.

7. Member
    Yes take it to your dealer. If you get the chance, take a video on your phone of the attempts to start it when it doesnt crank.

If you want to check anything yourself, start with electrical -

Check all electrical connections - battery connections, main switch connections, and the battery sub-wire connection. Make sure they are all clean and TIGHT. Heat can reduce electrical conductivity so this could be a reason for the problem.

A poor battery will also cause issues. I hope you have a battery with cca and rc of the correct level to suit your engine, and that the battery is in good condition and fully charged. If you run all sorts of accessories off the start battery then a battery thats on its way out will lose charge during the day and cause problems.

I will emphasise that these engines are VERY SENSITIVE to voltage. If you have poor connections or other battery issues, you WILL have problems. So you would be wise to have a battery that easily meets Suzuki’s spec for your engine, and that is kept in tip top condition.

I agree this has nothing to do with breaking in.

However, the correct procedure for starting your Suzuki is to turn the key to the on position, wait for the beep to finish, then turn the key to crank the engine. The beep gives time for the electronics to get their act together and for the electronic fuel pump to bring fuel pressure up to where it needs to be.

So bear that in mind in future always follow that procedure to start the engine.

8. Member
    One thing that will impair start is gear shifter position. If you have this issue put it in forward, then neutral. If it starts you may have a neutral switch issue. Repeat with the shifter in reverse, then neutral. Same thing, it will probably be the boat, a rigging issue.

9. Member
    I did check the electrical connections and all seem tight. The gear shifter doesn't seem to matter.

I developed another problem so it will be going to the dealer soon. I just randomly lost power. I lost about 5-6 mph and about 500 rpm with the same boat loading and everything else the same and even colder temps. Not sure what that could mean.

10. Member
    Problem A and Problem B likely related.

Tell the dealer about both issues.