Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

T-shirt slogans - where are the boundaries?

I work part-time at the local BPS store and see all kinds of t-shirt slogans. It's really hard to offend me and I don't pay much attention to them, regardless of whether they are political messages, pro-something, anti-something, etc. 99.9% of our customers are good people with common sense but we had a guy come in yesterday that really blew my mind. He was probably around 50, and he wore a black t-shirt with the following three lines on the front in big red letters - "Smoke Meth - Beat Whores - Worship Satan" accompanied with an upside-down cross. Like I said, it's almost impossible to offend me, but I found this disturbing and offensive on every level. He attracted quite a few stares and whispers from everyone who saw him, and we basically tried to avoid engaging with this person. I have to ask myself why anyone in their right mind would go out in public wearing something like this. I have to assume that he is trying to get attention, trying to create a confrontation, or just trying to prove that he is a complete ass. It worked.

2. Member
    Freedom of speech says it all. He probably would be offended by what is displayed on your shirt if you wore one like that. Either scenario doesn't give the other the right to tell someone else what they can and cannot wear.
    Last edited by Dixie-Raven; 10-18-2020 at 03:26 PM.

3. Member
    Most likely to avoid the pushy big cedar lodge or whatever the hell they are salesmen and the lady that follows you around trying to get you to apply for a BPS credit card. And the whole
    freedom of speech thing

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    I work part-time at the local BPS store and see all kinds of t-shirt slogans. It's really hard to offend me and I don't pay much attention to them, regardless of whether they are political messages, pro-something, anti-something, etc. 99.9% of our customers are good people with common sense but we had a guy come in yesterday that really blew my mind. He was probably around 50, and he wore a black t-shirt with the following three lines on the front in big red letters - "Smoke Meth - Beat Whores - Worship Satan" accompanied with an upside-down cross. Like I said, it's almost impossible to offend me, but I found this disturbing and offensive on every level. He attracted quite a few stares and whispers from everyone who saw him, and we basically tried to avoid engaging with this person. I have to ask myself why anyone in their right mind would go out in public wearing something like this. I have to assume that he is trying to get attention, trying to create a confrontation, or just trying to prove that he is a complete ass. It worked.
    Maybe hes not in his "right mind".

5. Member
    freedom of speech and individuality? Not that I agree with the context. To each I s own. Now if i witnessed the context in motion, he’d get it sugar free.. to each is own..

6. Member
    Should have punched him in the mouth
    Cheese County Bass Club

7. Member
    Why didn’t you invite him to join your bass club!

8. Member
    Just another person to avoid.

9. Banned
    Did it for the attention.....and he reeled you in.

10. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Did it for the attention.....and he reeled you in.
    yep, which is hilarious after all the BBC post denigrating anyone who got "offended" before....
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

11. Banned
    a) He attracted quite a few stares and whispers from everyone who saw him, and we basically tried to avoid engaging with this person.

b) I have to ask myself why anyone in their right mind would go out in public wearing something like this.

c) I have to assume that he is trying to get attention, trying to create a confrontation, or just trying to prove that he is a complete ass. It worked.

T squared-- Is Your query rhetorical?

I broke it down to the meat.

Both a) and c) cancel each other and You had an opportune time to ask 'why the shirt?

But it reads from a 'common passerby's opinion' that offensive shirt guy was in His 'left mind' but I'd have to ask more probing questions to make a full on commitment to He being 'wrong minded'..

12. Member
    Well, I'm old enough to remember when they first started printing text and graphics on T-shirts. It was quite novel at the time but anymore I rarely see anyone with just a plain T-shirt. There's a lot fewer people in their right mind than you would be inclined to believe. I've got at least 3 large plastic tubs of T-shirts that are brand new , never worn that I either received as gifts or won as some kind of prize that I will never wear.
    GETFISHED !!!

Shirts like that always look good in mug shots.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Well, I'm old enough to remember when they first started printing text and graphics on T-shirts. It was quite novel at the time but anymore I rarely see anyone with just a plain T-shirt. There's a lot fewer people in their right mind than you would be inclined to believe. I've got at least 3 large plastic tubs of T-shirts that are brand new , never worn that I either received as gifts or won as some kind of prize that I will never wear.
    Yard sale right there ...jus sayin

15. Member
    Maybe he just left walmart and forgot to change his shirt?

Maybe he is a devil worshiping woman beater.
    Ranger Forever

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    a) He attracted quite a few stares and whispers from everyone who saw him, and we basically tried to avoid engaging with this person.

b) I have to ask myself why anyone in their right mind would go out in public wearing something like this.

c) I have to assume that he is trying to get attention, trying to create a confrontation, or just trying to prove that he is a complete ass. It worked.

T squared-- Is Your query rhetorical?

I broke it down to the meat.

Both a) and c) cancel each other and You had an opportune time to ask 'why the shirt?

But it reads from a 'common passerby's opinion' that offensive shirt guy was in His 'left mind' but I'd have to ask more probing questions to make a full on commitment to He being 'wrong minded'..
    I suppose that one could have asked him about the shirt, but the message was so anti-social and offensive that I wouldn't want to risk setting him off. I sincerely doubt that he had any kind of response that would have justified the shirt, so I choose not to engage people like that. I understand "freedom of speech" but there is no reason to wear something just to piss people off unless you have some real problems. Wearing that shirt at deer camp or with your buddies might get a few laughs, but it is unacceptable in a public setting.

18. Member
    In HS I worked at a grocery store, a lady in her mid 70's had a shirt on that said "I have the p*$$& so I make all the rules". I was going through Ranger one day and a woman had a shirt on like the "I ❤ NY" but her's was "I ❤ to Fart".

19. Member
    Maybe the guy was just indirectly shouting out his profession...pimp daddy.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    Most likely to avoid the pushy big cedar lodge or whatever the hell they are salesmen and the lady that follows you around trying to get you to apply for a BPS credit card. And the whole
    freedom of speech thing
    yeh I know BPS workers just trying top do a job,, and some other stores try the same,,, but I am real quick with a F OFF leave me alone.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast