Garmin steady cast

Who’s got it and how do you like it. Looks like a quick easy install to NMEA 2000 back bone. It’s getting old picking out a landmark to use for reference when the boat spins on spot lock.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

2. Member
    I got one and love it! it definitely keeps the maps from spinning. The installation is a breeze as well, no need to have it exposed to the sky, so you can just about put it anywhere. Just follow the calibration steps.

Quote Originally Posted by kladuke View Post
    I got one and love it! it definitely keeps the maps from spinning. The installation is a breeze as well, no need to have it exposed to the sky, so you can just about put it anywhere. Just follow the calibration steps.
    Sweet! I just need to find a good price.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Biggest thing is to use a handheld compass to verify the mounting location. Borrow one if you have to. After that, it's a home run.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    The only slightly annoying thing for me is that I have to recalibrate each time out. I checked the location with a compass and I don't have any interference. Mine is on my kayak so I think it might have to do with the kayak sitting a little differently each time out since the load distribution is never exactly the same.

However, I still feel the Steadycast is invaluable for fishing offshore.

6. Member
    I'd be heckling support for a replacement. It's been so long since I calibrated mine that I can't remember when it was.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Got it - Love it - Would not want to be without while open water structure fishing. Also helps greatly while navigating at full-combat-speed in confined spaces. If you do not have an old school compass there are plenty of free RFI indicator apps for your smart phone that work in a similar manner. I use "EMF Detector".
    BCB Lynx
    Mercury 250 ProXs 4-Stroke

8. Member
    I had the same calibration issues, got on the phone with tech support, which was excellent. They had me send them a few files from the chartplotter and after a return phone call they decided to send me a new steady cast. I haven’t had any issues since the new unit was installed.
    Last edited by Binder; 10-22-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

9. Member
    I want! Tell me what to buy and where. I assume Nema set up and steady cast. Did I miss anything?

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I want! Tell me what to buy and where. I assume Nema set up and steady cast. Did I miss anything?
    Right. You need a NMEA 2000 network and the SteadyCast. Another option would be the just released GPS 24xd, which is also a heading sensor plus an external GPS antenna.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/684270
    Garmin Pro Team

Todd

Whats the GPS 19X do different than the GPS 24xd.

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Todd

Whats the GPS 19X do different than the GPS 24xd.
    The 19x is only a GPS antenna. The 24xd is a combo GPS antenna and heading sensor. Here is an additional article describing the 24xd.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...1015005340/en/
    Garmin Pro Team