ourflat

1999 Rangertrail Cool Hubs Rebuild

In the process of rebuilding hubs since this boat is new to me. I just wanted to know the condition of the bearings and am glad I am doing this maintenance. So far I have found both right hubs compromised with milky white oil in them. Both rear bearing seal wear bars are grooved and suspect all 4 will need replacing. I couldn’t get the drain screws to budge and broke the Allen tool in the screws. All bearings and races look new so all the seals and fluids need to be replaced. Not bad for a 1999 vintage trailer.

I searched the forum at length so I have a good ideal in where to sourcing replacement parts. My question is it appears most of the parts vendors listed in forum threads seems to be dated. I’m wondering if I should call Ranger or call some of the older vendors listed in the older threads?

Frank

2. Member
    Call Ranger. They should have what you need. On the allen head screws did you try applying heat? I have a 1999 Rangertrail and when they don't come out I hit them with a propane torch. They have all come out. Still running the original hubs, caps, bearings and seal wear rings. I finally broke down and replaced the bearings on one side, but honestly they looked just fine. When the oil bath system works you get almost zero wear, which is why I continue to service and run them. They built a good trailer in 1999.

3. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    I have a 1999 Rangertrail and when they don't come out I hit them with a propane torch.
    Thank you. I will use the torch method.

Frank

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
    Thank you. I will use the torch method.

Frank
    If the torch doesn’t work,pull and drain the hubs. Drill out the allen fitting and use an easy out to remove the plug.

5. Member
    They will have all the parts you need for your trailer: https://www.easternmarine.com/ufp-fa...-trailer-parts I don't know how the prices will compare to getting them from Ranger but they have everything.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

6. ourflat
    I called Ranger today but they didn’t have the data sheets available on my Rangertrail trailer to order parts. We’ll see what tomorrow brings....

Frank

7. Scraps
    I was told, even if the fluid is milky, it's not urgent to change the fluid. My experience on a 98 was that the bearings looked prestine when I took them apart and since I had no leaks, I really didn't need to do what I was doing. Two important parts of this overhaul, make sure the hub cavity is filled completely. No air at all. I would go so far as to jack the end of axle up and down to get every last drop of oil out of the hub. Another thing, the end cap was originally a stamped piece, now machined and gets driven on the end of the hub. If they still give the little o-ring that is meant to go between the cap and hub, throw it away, it's useless. Just drive the cap on all the way, and run a bead of high temp silicone gasket seal around that joint.

I never had a problem with the axle seals, the rubber seal that wraps around the axle. But wondered if it's worth cleaning that seal periodically and coating with some kind of oil or other product that preserves the rubber or elastomer whatever it is.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Scraps
    I called Ranger today but they didn’t have the data sheets available on my Rangertrail trailer to order parts. We’ll see what tomorrow brings....

Frank
    I hope this gets fixed. Ranger having parts for any and all boats and trailers was one of the best things about owning a Ranger.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. ourflat
    Still no parts! Can't get through 800-724-7273 to find part number for my spindle grease seal wear rings. I'll keep trying....

Frank

10. Member
    I ordered a cool hub with all bearing and sight glass from Ranger for a 99 and received it less than a week. Thought I would have a spare.

11. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerbill View Post
    I ordered a cool hub with all bearing and sight glass from Ranger for a 99 and received it less than a week. Thought I would have a spare.
    Do you happen to have the Ranger part number on your trailer hub? I assume you have a dual tandem trailer also....

Thanks in advance

12. ourflat
    Finally got ahold of Marsha this morning and what a big help she was... My telephone call with her was prematurely disconnected but she immediately called me back (lifesaver). 45 minutes later and had every part that she had in stock on order. She gave me the old/new part numbers for future reference. It seems my 10" wheel hubs were made by Dexter Marine. Ranger has no complete hub assemblies in stock but Marsha gave me several options to explore. I immediately called Daemon at Anglers Choice Marine to source the rest of the parts needed to complete my cool hub maintenance. I plan on putting Lucas Hub oil in the hubs and will do this maintenance every two years.

Thanks to all who helped me in my struggle......

Frank

13. Member
    Glad you got your parts. I talked to a nice lady name Bobbie. Very helpful. Gave her my trailer serial number and she went to work. Got all the part numbers with the order sheet. Great service.

14. Member
    Finally got ahold of Marsha this morning and what a big help she was... My telephone call with her was prematurely disconnected but she immediately called me back (lifesaver). 45 minutes later and had every part that she had in stock on order. She gave me the old/new part numbers for future reference. It seems my 10" wheel hubs were made by Dexter Marine. Ranger has no complete hub assemblies in stock but Marsha gave me several options to explore. I immediately called Daemon at Anglers Choice Marine to source the rest of the parts needed to complete my cool hub maintenance. I plan on putting Lucas Hub oil in the hubs and will do this maintenance every two years.

Thanks to all who helped me in my struggle......

Frank
    Use 50 wt. Valvoline per Ranger's recommendation. The Lucas hub oil is much more viscus and cause heat build up which will the hub cap to loosen or dislodge. Ask me how I know?

15. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rollins View Post
    Use 50 wt. Valvoline per Ranger's recommendation. The Lucas hub oil is much more viscus and cause heat build up which will the hub cap to loosen or dislodge. Ask me how I know?
    Wow! This is the 1st time I heard this; even the Ranger dealership stated they use Lucas hub oil! Please tell me more because I haven’t put oil in the hubs yet.....

Frank
    Last edited by ourflat; 10-25-2020 at 07:39 AM.

16. Member
    Cant speak for the Lucas oil but i have always used 50w Valvoline Racing oil with no issues. I have a 04 520vx and my manual says to use 50wt.
    Attached Files Attached Files

17. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgixxer99 View Post
    Cant speak for the Lucas oil but i have always used 50w Valvoline Racing oil with no issues. I have a 04 520vx and my manual says to use 50wt.
    My manual states the same as yours. My thinking was that Ranger was recommending Lucas hub oil but thermal expansion of the Lucas oil could cause the cool hub cap to pop off. I called my local automotive parts store and order the 50W motor oil. It will be here this afternoon.

Frank
    Last edited by ourflat; 10-25-2020 at 07:40 AM.

18. ourflat
    Wow...disgusting job to say the least. I don’t believe my hubs have every had maintenance on them since it was built in 1999. Even my lug nuts are rusted. Installed RT side hubs yesterday and will fill will 50W Valvoline Racing oil today. Took tires/rims to be replaced on Friday so new tires for my Rangertrail along with hub maintenance. The rear seal wear ring installation went fairly smooth once I sacrificed a set of bearings to use as a guide to tap the new ring on the spindle. I did add some high temp sealant to the back side of the ring before seating it. You could see oil in the oil ring channel and on the backside of the spindle so yes, it was leaking too! My rims have the plastic coating coming loose so I’ll need to find a company that resurfaces tire rims.

I’ll drink a few beers soon after this job is complete!

Frank

19. Member
    I had cool hubs on my 2000 for almost 20 years. after 15 years I pulled them apart because of milky on one side - the bearings and races were like new - once you pull a hub, the seal will leak. Make sure you use the orange silicone on the cap when you put it back together - I would put some on the allen plug as well.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

20. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    I had cool hubs on my 2000 for almost 20 years. after 15 years I pulled them apart because of milky on one side - the bearings and races were like new - once you pull a hub, the seal will leak. Make sure you use the orange silicone on the cap when you put it back together - I would put some on the allen plug as well.
    Finished job today. I will fill the hubs in the morning.

Frank