lost reverse and neutral 2002 EFI

Yesterday after I unloaded my boat I backed out of the ramp and entered into forward. A minute later I needed to reverse and had nothing. I moved the shifter in and out of gears (or what should have been the gears) and then had reverse and no forward. Moved a bit more and had forward, no reverse or neutral. I removed the cowl and the shifting arm which enters the lower unit moves as though its shifting so I know its hooked up. I would think if I broke a reverse gear in the lower unit I wouldn't get it back only to loose forward. Now it sits with forward only. Any help greatly appreciated.

Ser # OT528359
    Last edited by chsapeak; 10-18-2020 at 10:05 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please clarify- you said you removed the cowl but then talk about the shift shaft in the lower unit (which is a good distance and several connections away).

Verify movement of each component, starting at the end of the shift cable and working all the way down to the splined shaft at the gearcase.

NOTE: DON'T attempt shifting unless the prop is spinning (or engine running... recommend it NOT be running for this situation).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor