Question Motor guide 12/24volt Only running on 12V?

Just got this boat and has a motor guide 12/24 trolling motor, Been checking it out but it only runs on 12v. I switch it to 24 V and nothing happens. I tried hooking it up to straight 24V and it would not work. Do you think the 12/ 24 switch is bad? that's what i am leaning to after checking this out.

Thanks
    Mark

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Check that you actually have 24V at the plug for the TM as a first step.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Check that you actually have 24V at the plug for the TM as a first step.
    I have Rangers 4 prong plug. I have deleted the orange and white wire and ran it straight 24v with red and black 6 ga wire from factory. The only way I got to work was to add the 12v white wire connected to #2 battery and a ground jumper on plug of trolling motor. I can get 24v to trolling motor when only 24v is hooked up but will not work. When I ohm the on off switch it looks like it is working because the reading changes from OL to O.OOO but 24 V will not go through it. The trolling motor only works when 12/24 switch on trolling motor is on 12v and 12v is hooked up to plug.

4. Member
    This is how it should be hooked up on both ends.

5. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    There's a jumper in the trolling motor 4 prong plug that might have to be changed around. I'm not sure myself about how to do it but someone should be along to help you out.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    This is how it should be hooked up on both ends.

That's what I have hooked up with a jumper in trolling motor plug from ground to ground. It only runs on 12v

7. Member
    Did you read the voltage at the plug where the red an black wire come from the Battery? You say that you have it wired as the diagram. If you are only getting 12 volts at the plug then you have a wiring problem, because if it were wired correctly it would read 24 volt between the Red and black wires. You need a jumper form negative #1 battery to positive #2 battery. Remove all jumpers.

8. Member
    There is a jumper in the plug for a Ranger 4prong plug. You will have 4 wires coming to the front, a ground and hot for both batteries. The 24V jump is made in the plug. You need 3 wires coming out of the plug also. Check these 3 wires and see if you're getting 24V and 12V. The black would be common. I don't know what colors you have but usually its a black, orange, and red. orange to black will read one and red to black will read the other. Also, on the 12/24 switch, there is 3 outputs. The middle one will go to junction under the pedal. The red will go to one side of the switch and the orange to the other side of the switch. If one side of the switch doesn't work, swap the two outside wires, then the other speed should work and it kill the speed you had. This indicates a bad switch. If all it does is change the switch, then you could have a blown fuse on the 24V side, or a bad connection on the 24V set.
    Hope the helps.
    John
    Ranger 12 24.png
    The beauty of this type plug was that you could buy a red plug that had two jumpers, turned horizontal, connect to a battery charger and charge both batteries at the same time. no need for the weight of an onboard.
    Last edited by John Jones JTM; 10-19-2020 at 04:12 PM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jones JTM View Post
    There is a jumper in the plug for a Ranger 4prong plug. You will have 4 wires coming to the front, a ground and hot for both batteries. The 24V jump is made in the plug. You need 3 wires coming out of the plug also. Check these 3 wires and see if you're getting 24V and 12V. The black would be common. I don't know what colors you have but usually its a black, orange, and red. orange to black will read one and red to black will read the other. Also, on the 12/24 switch, there is 3 outputs. The middle one will go to junction under the pedal. The red will go to one side of the switch and the orange to the other side of the switch. If one side of the switch doesn't work, swap the two outside wires, then the other speed should work and it kill the speed you had. This indicates a bad switch. If all it does is change the switch, then you could have a blown fuse on the 24V side, or a bad connection on the 24V set.
    Hope the helps.
    John
    Ranger 12 24.png
    The beauty of this type plug was that you could buy a red plug that had two jumpers, turned horizontal, connect to a battery charger and charge both batteries at the same time. no need for the weight of an onboard.
    Thanks John, I have red Orange white and black wire. I have the black jumped in the trolling motor plug and used the white as pos from battery 2 the orange is disconnected and not in use at this time. I do get 12v from whit to black and 24 v from red to black. I will try sealing wires on 12/24 switch and see if that works. If not I will hook it up as from factory with orange white and red and black and see if that works. If hooked as original with all 4 wires do I still need to have jumper in rear? I don't have the jumper plate for trolling plug just used a small wire for testing.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Did you read the voltage at the plug where the red an black wire come from the Battery? You say that you have it wired as the diagram. If you are only getting 12 volts at the plug then you have a wiring problem, because if it were wired correctly it would read 24 volt between the Red and black wires. You need a jumper form negative #1 battery to positive #2 battery. Remove all jumpers.
    No I get almost 26v at red and black wire lathe way to 12/24v switch on trolling motor. The only side of switch I can get to work is with a 3rd wire from 2nd battery that has 12v.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmar View Post
    Thanks John, I have red Orange white and black wire. I have the black jumped in the trolling motor plug and used the white as pos from battery 2 the orange is disconnected and not in use at this time. I do get 12v from whit to black and 24 v from red to black. I will try sealing wires on 12/24 switch and see if that works. If not I will hook it up as from factory with orange white and red and black and see if that works. If hooked as original with all 4 wires do I still need to have jumper in rear? I don't have the jumper plate for trolling plug just used a small wire for testing.
    To set it up like it was born, the red and black would be on the same battery and the orange and white on the same battery. Black and white would be grounds and orange and red would be positive. I don't understand what you mean by the black jumped at the trolling motor plug. What is it jumped to?
    Also you would not have a jumper at the back the way it was born.

12. Member
    1019201726.jpg
    I under stand the jumper on plug is just a piece of wire to rereplace the metal jumper that came with plug because without it you would not get 24 v. If not jumped in the rear.

13. Member
    To set it up like it was born, the red and black would be on the same battery and the orange and white on the same battery. Black and white would be grounds and orange and red would be positive. I don't understand what you mean by the black jumped at the trolling motor plug. What is it jumped to?
    Also you would not have a jumper at the back the way it was born.

1019201742.jpg
    The jumper is in first picture, but I don't understand how I can get 24 volts if batteries don't have a jumper?

14. Member
    Ok I think I understand I will hook it up with all 4 wires and the jumper is at the trolling motor plug. I will let you know what happens.
    Thanks all for your help!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmar View Post
    1019201726.jpg
    I under stand the jumper on plug is just a piece of wire to rereplace the metal jumper that came with plug because without it you would not get 24 v. If not jumped in the rear.
    In the drawing, the diagram on the right is the way it was born. That said, I think you have the positive and negative on the batteries mis labeled. You show the 24V wire coming from the neg bat 2, the 12V wire coming from neg bat1 via the jumper, the pos battery 1 going to the jumper that you labeled neg. If you come off of that plug with three wires, neg from the jumper strip, positive from bottom right and positive from bottom left to the trolling motor, you should have 12/24 at the trolling motor.
    John

16. Member
    In the drawing, the diagram on the right is the way it was born. That said, I think you have the positive and negative on the batteries mis labeled. You show the 24V wire coming from the neg bat 2, the 12V wire coming from neg bat1 via the jumper, the pos battery 1 going to the jumper that you labeled neg. If you come off of that plug with three wires, neg from the jumper strip, positive from bottom right and positive from bottom left to the trolling motor, you should have 12/24 at the trolling motor.
    John
    I'm sorry John I messed up drawing that's not what I have.
    Since I talked to you * went back and hooked all 4 wires to front plug. As original from factory just have to make a jumper for plug. This one did not have one when I opened it up. But I'm sure the 12/24v switch is bad. I have switched the wires around and 12v followed to opposite side. And bottom of switch I was reading 24v and 12v but would not operate on 24v.

17. Member
    Amen! Got it working, turned out it was because I did not have jumper for trolling motor plug in. I made a jumper out of a piece of metal and works like a charm.
    Thanks to all who helped me!
    Last edited by Bassmar; 10-20-2020 at 04:51 PM.