2001 Mercury 200hp Opti - trim up/down do not work!

The motor is on a 2001 BassCat Pantera III. New trim switch's put in Dec. of 2018, after that rig only on water 11 times when I had to quit fishing in Aug. 2019 due to serious health problems. Trying to fish next week finally and checking out the boat. The motor starts easier than ever but trim does not work! I tried it out about 3 mo. ago and worked fine then. Only thing I've done since is last week replaced the starting battery and like I said the big motor started better than it has since I've had it (2 yrs.). When pushing the up or down button just hear very light click but no movement - motor mate on so big motor in up position which it will not move from. Can't get it into a shop until Nov. according to the dealer so looking for ideas - hopefully before turns too cold for me to go out? Not great in the wiring dept. Thanks.........................BOB

Note: Mercury serial #OT281088
    Last edited by bobsquatch; 10-20-2020 at 01:18 PM.

2. Member
    Tap on the trim motor with handle end of screwdriver, sometimes brushes get a little corroded, otherwise put straight 12v on the trim motor, if it works then you know it’s relay/switch/wire and if it doesn’t you know it’s the trim motor.

3. Member
    Thanks - but sorry not sure how you are saying to put straight 12v on the trim motor? How would connect direct to battery, if that is what you mean? Keep in mind my statement above, I'm not very good with boat wiring?

4. Member
    Probably better ways but easy way is to separate the bullet connector for the trim motor and run some jumpers from a battery.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Locate the two large wires coming up into the cowling from the trim motor. Disconnect them at their bullet connectors.

Supply 12V+ to the blue wire, 12V ground to the green wire (this is high amperage so don't use any flimsy little jumpers- 10 ga. or larger cable if using cables).

Engine should begin to trim UP. Reverse connections: Engine should trim DOWN.

Results match: Switch, wiring or solenoid problem.

Results do NOT match: Trim motor failed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Serial #OT281088 now listed, above also. Now, is there a way to release motor pressure so I can manually move motor up and down since trim switch's are not working yet? Would like to get motor mate off as motor is lifted now. Releasing should enable me to raise slightly to drop motor mate and let motor go to down position. Would I also then be able to manually lift back up - maybe take 2 or 3 guys?
    Last edited by bobsquatch; 10-20-2020 at 02:34 PM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is a manual-relief screw that you can access through the Starboard-side Transom Bracket. Requires a LARGE (properly fitted) flat-blade screwdriver, and screw should be loosened only 1.5 - 2 turns counter-clockwise (at max).

Keep in mind that when lifting, you are not just lifting the weight of the engine, you are also lifting against the hydraulic action of the trim system (which is permitted to slowly bypass at the screw while loosened).

AVOID USING SCREW ANY MORE THAN NECESSARY- it is designed and intended for emergency use (only). Do NOT over-tighten (simply snug).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Using the manual-relief screw, now have motor in down position, cowling off and have 10 ga. wires ready to jump the blue & green leads but: The bullet connectors don't seem to want to come apart, assume these are simply a twist and pull apart item? Maybe age of motor they have become somewhat stuck together and not sure if a spray lubricant should be used to try to loosen them so I can pull apart? I'm not wanting to pull too hard and break these wires.

9. Member
    The motor may be stuck or just went bad. I had the same issue. I just replaced the motor and it's back to business.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Those bullet connectors are pretty solid... usually require that you twist and pull to get them apart (especially the first time).