Merrimack River @ Concord

Figured it would be easier to deal with the wind, so I put in at the Vo-Tech a little after noon. Water level is still quite low, temps running from 52-56. Got one and missed another on the jig in the laydowns above the ramp, then headed into the backwater (barely made it over the bar). They were eating the chatterbait pretty good - 4 on that and a bunch of hard misses. They were coming off the bottom in 8-12' and just slamming it. I should have changed to a +1 jerkbait or heavier chatterbait to get it down at their level... just too lazy to do so! No bites on the jig in there, and only a dink SM on a squarebill. The beavers have blocked the 393 backwater access. Tried the area around the arena, but no bueno - I think the colored water and the little bit of grass in the backwater was the key. Four keepers, with 3 in the 2.5 range.

2. Member
    Good report,really enjoy that stretch.
    Red Sox in 6!

3. Moderator
    Never fished there but it sounds interesting.

4. Member
    Don't fish it, but that's a very good report !!

5. Member
    Went to the Nashua River yesterday afternoon - appeared to be a 20+ club there (any reports guys?). Fished for 1.5 hrs without a bite, pulled out and headed back to the Merrimack.

The water was up a good foot from the day prior, lots of pine tags and leaves in the river. The level was high enough for me to get into the 393 backwater. Got bit right off the bat on the chatterbait. Ended up with 16 keepers in two hours, the dominant pattern being a new one on me. The spatterdock lily pads (the big ones that grow yellow flowers) had a foot of water over the tops of them - pull the bait over those and you got bit - that simple. Not much milfoil bach there this year! Tons of pondweed that they weren't using, a few bites on wood.

Nice report and nice job.
    I was fishing a undisclosed location. Lol about a hour north.
    Saturday and Sunday. The fishing was tough both days .
    Think I got 4 each day with about a 3 pound lg being my best.
    Was at the same place Thursday and got a 5 and a 6. I didn't weigh them just guessing. One on a jig and one on a keitech.
    Water temp was 56 -59. The fishing was awesome Thursday but they shut down for the weekend..
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

7. Member
    Nice pair!! Where'd you say that was again?

8. Member
    Went back to the mighty Merrimack again yesterday. Water's running 52-54 and has dropped again. Picked up one on the Chatterbait in the oxbow. Had to get out of the boat and apply one donkey-power to get into the 393 backwater. http://<a href="https://ibb.co/c1TwQ...&#91;/img]</a>

Picked up another 8 (none of notable size) in there on a Cutter and an LC Pointer, along with a livewell full of big crappie. I worked it over pretty good except for the skinny water, 'most all the bites were on the outside of the milfoil line. Not sure where the bigger ones went that I was getting, when there was more water in there? I did work a jig through some of the snags across from the launch - no love there.