Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat slides back when loading

When losing the boat on trailer, I run it up onto the roller and then connect the winch. However, when I pull the boat out of the water it slides off of the roller. Any tips to resolve this?
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

Keep the trailer in more of the water... don't put such a upward pitch on the trailer... basically try to make it more horizontal or flat

3. Member
    how can it roll back if you connect the strap and tighten it,then pull out

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    how can it roll back if you connect the strap and tighten it,then pull out
    I have no idea... it it does.
    mill try to keep the trailer in more of the water/horizontal. Thanks.

5. ourflat
    Yep, mine does too; even when strap is as tight as I can get it on winch. As mentioned above; more trailer in the water corrects this problem.

Frank

This might help. Pull all the strap off the drum and rewind. Sounds like there is some slack on it and when the weight of the boat pulls it, it tightens up but lets our some. If that makes sense.

this is a problem common to most Rangers. This is caused by the fact that the back of the boat is floating above the bunks when you pull on. No matter how tight you make the winch strap when you load the boat as the boat settles on the bunks when you pull it up the ramp there is going to be an upward lift at the bow. The winch strap is just a nylon rope and will stretch as it is loaded. After you pull up the ramp, winch it down again, like we all have to.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

8. Member
    This must be a steep ramp problem, because I only experienced this once when I replaced my winch with a Fulton F2. The first time I loaded the boat, I snugged up the boat and when I got to the parking lot, it was about 3-4 inches back. I went back to the ramp and snugged it up again. Haven't had a problem since.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    this is a problem common to most Rangers. This is caused by the fact that the back of the boat is floating above the bunks when you pull on. No matter how tight you make the winch strap when you load the boat as the boat settles on the bunks when you pull it up the ramp there is going to be an upward lift at the bow. The winch strap is just a nylon rope and will stretch as it is loaded. After you pull up the ramp, winch it down again, like we all have to.
    I have had and loaded a lot of different Rangers and have never had this happen, ever. I think the winch strap has some slack in it and needs to be rewrapped
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

10. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by HTC33 View Post
    I have no idea... it it does.
    mill try to keep the trailer in more of the water/horizontal. Thanks.
    I wonder if your winch is slipping??
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    is it wrapped over the drum or under on the drum ??

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    is it wrapped over the drum or under on the drum ??
    I’ll take a look when I get back to the lake house. Thanks to everybody for the ideas. I will give them a try.

Not sure how tall your tow vehicle is but if it sits high, maybe more of a drop on your hitch will help. Sounds like you have a fairly steep ramp or a combo of both. Just installed a new winch on mine and the strap def needs some tightening.

14. Member
    Get you a Fulton 2 speed winch and you dont have to worry about it. If my Ranger slips back after I have pulled it out the 2 speed winch requires little effort to get it tight and where it is suppose to be. Its a good addition to your boat and not for that much money.

15. Member
    The trailer is to deep.

The boat is floating and approaching at a different angle. Once you pull up the ramp the boat settles onto the trailer and changes the angle of the boat vs trailer causing the gap at the roller.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
    Yep, mine does too; even when strap is as tight as I can get it on winch. As mentioned above; more trailer in the water corrects this problem.

Frank
    Absolutely Correct !
    You just can not get the winch strap tight enough so the slack will give you some strech.
    This should go away with time as you repeat more cycles of loading the boat and winding the strap progressively tighter
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213
    2013 Ranger Z519 / 225 Mercury Pro XS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Get you a Fulton 2 speed winch and you dont have to worry about it. If my Ranger slips back after I have pulled it out the 2 speed winch requires little effort to get it tight and where it is suppose to be. Its a good addition to your boat and not for that much money.

The Fulton 2 speed is a monster, I went with the 3500 lb model. SWEEEEET!

18. Member
    I've got an 1880ms and my usual Ohio River ramp is moderately steep. Must get my feet wet or walk the trailer frame and at 70 I take a while to heal. I'm going to try the Drotto auto latch.

19. Member
    Contrary to the other answers, if you leave a little more trailer out of the water, the boat rides up while pulling to the stop and puts the boat and trailer more on the same plane. That allows the strap to keep the boat tighter to the roller. It is kind of a geometry thing and works well for me.

only back the trailer in until the short bunks you can see in your mirror go underwater - its usually the perfect depth for driving on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast