Thread: My new X 18 pro

My new X 18 pro

Picked up my new 2021 X 18 with F150 Yamaha on the back Thursday and got on the water today for the first time. Having owned 2 Xpress boats before this one I was very impressed with the improvements they have made to a lot of small things that have caused issues with many others before. Caulking all around the top cap, rub rail and across the transom and underneath all the compartments that have caused leaking, drain plug hole was ground smooth, added 2 more cup holders for driver and passenger and they appear to be glued in. As for fit and finish that many have complained about, I could find nothing to fault after going all over the boat. Now for my question, after the 2 hour break in and finally getting to let her run for a bit I got 57.5 to 58.6 and 57-5800 rpms with the Power Tech prop OFX3R 23P and no porpoise at any speed but I did have a little chine walk that I'd like to get rid of. PTP is somewhere between 4 and 4 1/2 inches. Am I correct in thinking that raising the motor up will help relieve this problem. I could drive through it but had rather try to eliminate it. Actually satisfied with the speed and rpms are close to what they should be. Love the boat and sea dek is the best thing yet.

2. Member
    PTP of 3.5 below should help speed and chine walk.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    1Holeshot I almost jacked the motor up to that before ever running it but decided to try her out first. Will probably do that this afternoon and run it again tomorrow, wouldn't mind getting 60 out of it but I'm happy with the speed and ride otherwise.

4. Member
    Mark, if you have access to some different props to try, you should get a little more speed and bow lift out of a Tempest. Both of my Xpress boats came with a Power Tech but I changed to a Turbo on one and got better performance.

I run a 4 blade on my current boat and although it is very different from an Xpress, my holeshot and handling improved. The boat came with a 23 Fury and now run a 24 Bravo FS. Chine walk made the Fury harder to drive but the Bravo drives much better from take off to top end.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    Raised the motor 3/8 this afternoon and will run it Mon. or Tues. again. I had the 24p Tempest plus prop recommended to me by an Xpress dealer in Fla on FB or a 23p TRO4. Just don't have access to props to try out.