2020 175hp Mercury Pro Xs

I have about 45 hours on this 2020 175 hp Mercury pro xs(2B638314)It has started to idle rough ( shaking) and when I put it in gear it gets worse, but when I give it gas it runs perfectly. No loss top end or hole shot, just the rough idle. I don’t understand what’s going on. Can anybody help?
    Last edited by Jnlp9248; 10-18-2020 at 11:25 AM.

2. Member
    You’ll have to post your motor serial number before you’ll get much info.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

3. Member
    Edited post to include serial

4. ourflat
    Wow.....please keep us informed on outcome!

Frank

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    First thing I would be doing was inspecting the plugs and plug wires. You should get the engine in to an Authorized Mercury Dealer for inspection, however.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    South of Baton Rouge but North of Plaquemine, LA
    Any updates on this issue?

7. Member
    Sorry haven’t got back in awhile. Just talk to dealer yesterday, he said they don’t know what’s going on. He said compression is different and he said they were on the phone with Mercury trying to figure it out. So I don’t know yet!
    Last edited by Jnlp9248; 11-17-2020 at 06:18 PM.

8. ourflat
    Interesting if compression is just a bit out from each other or a lot? Please keep us informed.

9. Member
    Well boys, new power head on its way!

10. ourflat
    Wow.....just wow....

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Glad they've got the ball rolling for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    I have no idea what caused this. The dealer indicated that he didn’t have a clue. One of the cylinders is losing compression is all I know. He did mention carbon build up if that rings any bells to any of you. Let me know what y’all think.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Only thing can say is that a leakdown test would assist in determining "where" the excessive leakage is occurring (it will not, however change the outcome needed: Powerhead replacement).

14. Member
    I just hope the same thing doesn’t happen with this new power head. I’m just glad it’s warranty work!

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pretty unlikely to see another one... haven't seen much for problems out of these.