Connecting Helix 12 Chirp to Ultrex

Hey guys, looking for a little help on utilizing the built in transducer on my ultrex. I purchased an older helix 12 to put up front and figured why not use the transducer that's integrated into the TM. I ordered a US2 adapter cable for the unit and the previous owner of the boat had left me the cable that matched up to that that's supposed to run up to the head of the TM.

This is where I'm running into some problems. I have about a 10' cable coming out of the head that doesn't match up with my US2 humminbird cable. It's bigger and has more pins, I'm assuming it's an old Lowrance connector or something.

Do I just need to open the head of the TM and disconnect/remove that cable and put my US2 humminbird cable in it's place? Or, is there another type of adapter I'm missing somewhere?

The first pic is of the cable end that's currently installed to the trolling motor. The next image is what I have and am trying to connect. Just didn't know if I needed to be taking a trolling motor head apart or not. Thank you guys for your help!
    20201017_191455.jpg20201017_191511.jpg

2. Member
    Is this the adapter cable you ordered? https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...us2-8-hb-7-pin
    Last edited by bobcoy; 10-17-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Picture #1 is the Ethernet extension cable 30' long=has 8 connections

Picture #2 is the US2 transducer cord=has 4 connections--you need a Universal Sonar Humminbird 7-pin adapter---MKR-US2-8 to get 83/200 kHz to the Helix.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Good, I see Wayne is on the case. I was confused at first. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Is this the adapter cable you ordered? https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...us2-8-hb-7-pin
    Yes, that's the exact cable I ordered. Seems to be useless in this case.

The US2 transducer is Universal Sonar Second Edition and can be adapted to several sonar brands for 2D sonar using 83/200 kHz.

https://basspro.scene7.com/is/conten...ility_2015.pdf
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Picture #1 is the Ethernet extension cable 30' long=has 8 connections

Picture #2 is the US2 transducer cord=has 4 connections--you need a Universal Sonar Humminbird 7-pin adapter---MKR-US2-8 to get 83/200 kHz to the Helix.
    Picture #2 is supposed to be the MKR-US2-8 cable, at least I ordered a 7-pin MKR-US2-8 from Amazon and it looks just like that on the site as well as on Johnson Outdoors. Now I'm really scratching my head.

8. Member
    Or, could it be that the previous owner was using the ethernet cable to link to a graph on the console and using the ipilot feature on the trolling motor linked to the console unit? Making that cable useless in this case and needing to be replaced with the transducer cable I have?

Quote Originally Posted by TNangler View Post
    Yes, that's the exact cable I ordered. Seems to be useless in this case.
    The US2 cable is the one with 4 pins, you attach the MKR-US2-8 to that plug and that gives you the Humminbird 7-pin plug connection for a Helix.
    There is no other for a Helix.

I have that cable on my desk. It has a male plug on one end and a female plug on the other end and is 9' long.
    It connects to the cable from the US2 transducer inside the top of the motor of an Ultrex.
    I removed it since I don't use the US2.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Update: opened the head of the ultrex and the previous owner had tucked the transducer cable up inside of it. Pulled it through the grommet and connected my cables. Everything works flawlessly. Thank you for your help!