2013 Puma FTD Questions

Hello getting back into the bass boat game after a 20 year break and have found a used 2013 Puma with a Merc Pro XS 250 on it and looking for a little advise. It is a repo and the dealer has no info or history on the boat.

Went and looked it over hard today and it has been used hard reminds me of my boats back in the day. Used hard but not tore up and then keep in a garage because no fading. Seats, carpet and top of the boat looks good but bottom has seen alot of rocks and docks...lol...but just gel damage nothing deep into the glass. Motor only shows 50 hours on computor but I don't think that is right. Has a Tempest Plus 25P prop.

What would be a ball park fair price for it?

Is that a good prop for this rig?

Also it had duct tape over some of the water holes on the front of the nose cone? Any ideals on what that might have been for?

Anything I really need to be on the look out for? Hoping to set up a test drive soon. They say it test good on compression and starts and runs good and strong when the got it from back and checked it over.

Thanks for any advise.

The duct tape on the nosecone is probably from blocking it off for running on a hose.

3. Member
    The boat is easy enough to look over. There was a great checklist that Ron posted a couple of months ago..try a search for it. Tire wear and pattern are something to look at . The boat will tell it's story if you are diligent in looking it over. Get the serial number and see if Don on the 3litre board can tell you it's history. Leakdown test and computer diagnostic printout freeze frame faults. Will tell you a bunch or Don is usually willing to look them over.

Here is the 3 liter Moderators suggestions on buying a used boat motor.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=502937

Of course, shake the boat down. All accessories, spider cracks, pumps, lids, latches, transom, troller, lights, seats, helm, storage. Open, operate and inspect it all. You already are on your way. There are a lot of nice used boats out there and the bottom scars won’t fix themselves. Just sayin. I almost bought a boat that was really beat up on the bottom and so glad I walked away. Make sure the price reflects the damage.

Be sure and check the trailer. Recent thread here where a fellow bought a boat with trailer issues. Now he’s looking at replacing an axle and wheel assemblies.

Good luck and take your time. You only have one chance to do it right.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

5. Member
    Just noticed that the used boat buyer's guide is listed in the stickies at the top of the forum