Sho freezing issue ???

The other day I had a mechanic tell me that the sho specifically older "I've got a 2016" have a issue where if not drained or have antifreeze ran thru it they can crack blocks and Yamaha won't cover the repair. Anyone know anything about this and how to prevent this.. live in Midwest and use my boat in really cold temps.

2. Member
    No one have any knowledge on this ???

3. Member
    Following.

4. Member
    Sounds like Bs all outbroads are designed to drain out when tilted all the way down .

5. Member
    I would tilt down and unscrew the flush port. Water stays in my flush port unless I unscrew to drain.

6. Member
    I had cracked heads on my 2014 SHO 250. Not sure why it happened but noticed it when I stored it in the garage for winter. Noticed crankcase oil on the floor of garage. It run perfect with no indications of any problems when I put it away. I did use it in freezing weather so who knows, maybe some merit to what your mechanic says! Also Yamaha did replace my complete powerhead under warranty without issue.

7. Member
    I live north of Chicago and I called Sean at HydroTec a couple of years and asked his advice on this and fogging the motor. He said raise and lower the engine several times to drain the water out and leave the engine tilted down. He was indifferent on the fogging. Said for 4 months of storage probably not an issue. I’ve followed his advice since and have had no problems. Stored indoors unheated.
    I would add what smallykiller said.
    2019 Ram 5.7 Hemi Limited
    Skeeter ZX225
    2 Lowrance 12” Carbons
    1 Lowrance 9” Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Yamaha 225/ Hydro Tec/ 25-T1 SHO prop/ 83mph
    2-8’ Power Poles
    12” Black Atlas Jack

8. Member
    Cooling diagram
    cooling.jpg