Question Fuel Issue - Maybe

Took my new (to me) Legend out for the BassChamps Championship last weekend on the Red River. I had a full tank (as much as the pump would put in it, anyway) and ran about 30 minutes first thing in the morning. I obviously made the same run back in the afternoon w/o any issues. As I was idling out of some skinny water to hit the main channel and put her on the trailer the engine cut out. I didn't think there was any chance it would be empty, given running roughly 50-ish miles round trip and a little idling here and there. I put the panel switch to aux and squeezed the bulb a few times and she didn't start. Even though I have a brand-new (second trip) Optima blue-top, I switched the jump-start over to my trolling motor batteries and she started.

Now I'm not sure if it's a battery issue, which seems unlikely but could certainly happen, or a fuel issue. I'm sure it could be something else entirely like a fuel pump or filter, but I'm guessing that's not it.

Does anyone know:

1) How are you sure you've filled it completely?
    2) Is it supposed to switch from MAIN to AUX automatically?

This is the first boat I've ever had with an AUX tank so I'm just not sure how it functions. I assume it fills on its own and you don't need to toggle the switch to AUX while at the pump, but any and all help is appreciated so I can better understand my boat.

2. Banned
    If it only started when you went to jump,, and then started fine, its not a fuel problem its a battery or battery charge problem maybe connection or bad ground issue.
    Those Optima blues arnt very highly regarded, Id check the Blues voltage, and then my alternator output.
    Your graphs have voltage readings on them ? Getting 14 when you are running ?

3. Member
    Yeah I've got voltage on my graphs. I was running the aerator on manual all day and my voltage had dropped to 11.4V, but was running over 13 and recharged on the run.

Any idea about whether it would switch to AUX automatically if I run out of fuel in the main tank?

4. Member
    Have you verified you have two tanks? All keypads have a tank selector, even if they only have one tank. I have never seen one with aux tank, but I've heard they are under the seat in the alpha models.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willymac View Post
    Have you verified you have two tanks? All keypads have a tank selector, even if they only have one tank. I have never seen one with aux tank, but I've heard they are under the seat in the alpha models.
    No, I just assume there was a built-in AUX given the info in the owner's manual.

6. Member
    If you have storage under each seat and a cooler, you do not have a aux tank, when you put gas in the tank, you can see the level, at least in mine I can see, what year and model do you have.
    2013 A211 250 Pro XS
    Bob"s 10" Action Series Hydraulic Jack Plate
    2-8' Power Poles

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopsLegend211 View Post
    If you have storage under each seat and a cooler, you do not have a aux tank, when you put gas in the tank, you can see the level, at least in mine I can see, what year and model do you have.
    I’ve got a 2017 V20

8. Member
    Go to gas station and refill the tank. This will confirm how much fuel you burned. What level did the fuel gauge show?
    sounds like a voltage issue as the 250 opti needs a lot of juice.

9. Member
    You can look up your boat, the V20 2017 comes standard with a 50 gallon tank, aux tank is not an option, you probably ran out of gas. http://legendmarine.com/v20/
    2013 A211 250 Pro XS
    Bob"s 10" Action Series Hydraulic Jack Plate
    2-8' Power Poles

what engine and did you fill it back up to see how much gas it took to fill up?

could have a bad primer bulb or an air leak allowing it to loose prime. could be the electric pump on the motor (switching batteries could have reset it somehow). clogged filter(s), water in the seperator, any number of things.
    60 minutes of running WOT my 225 proxs/a199 is about 1/2 to 2/3 of a tank for me.

i've also owned batteries that had a bad cell the day i installed them new. They even showed 13v charged and worked most of the day and only took a s**t when you cranked. Get the battery load tested at an alternator shop.

11. Member
    If it jumped off with the troll battery/batteries, then I would think it’s an issue with the Optima cranking. I have a 2017 V20 and ran a blue top as my cranking with 4 Lowrance HDS 12’s. They would drain the battery enough that there wasn’t enough juice to start the engine after about 3-4 hours of fishing. I went to Relion Lithium’s 2-21/2 years ago and haven’t had any problems or issues. I gave 3 blue tops to a friend that were less than 1 year old and I think he actually used them as trot line weights.
    2017 Legend V20