Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whitetail Rifle Preference -Discussion

I have 2 main rifles that I use for hunting deer. Weatherby Vanguard 243 and TC Venture 30/06. Both are tack driver's with appropriate Barnes ammo.

The 30/06 shoots 150 grain very accurate but the 185 grain is all over the paper. I have only used Barnes 85 grain in the 243.

Have you found most of your rifles to be picky with ammo?

2. Member
    Yes. Most rifles like one certain load/grain best.

Depends on the rifle and ammo. I have two 6.5 Creedmoor rifles that shoot factory Hornady 143 grain ELD-X into very small groups. That’s the only ammo I’ve tried in either rifle. A buddy brought me a .243 he acquired for his wife, and he couldn’t get it to shoot consistently. I went through everything, remounted scope, made sure all screws torqued correctly, and it would still throw a 5-6” group at 100 yards. Went through a variety of different ammo brands, and was just about to give up. Was discussing with another guy at the range, and he had went through the same thing with his .243. He finally found a Winchester load that worked (cheapest Wal-Mart had) and I bought a box on the way home. Went back the next day, and that rifle settled right down and shot consistent 1.00-1.125” groups. Buddy’s wife killed her first deer @ 225 yards that weekend.

Having said all that, your rifle may not have the right twist for the heavy bullet. The all-copper Barnes bullets have a longer bearing surface than a comparable copper/lead bullet, and frequently require a faster twist (especially with heavy-for-caliber projectiles).
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    I handload all my ammunition and when a ladder test is down you will find out what the rifle wants. Factory ammo is made to be safe and chamber in all rifles. It is just luck if factory ammo shoots good in your rifle.

5. Banned
    I have found length makes more difference than anything else... Figure out the absolute max OAL that will chamber , back it off 20 thousandths, call it good.

Great point on twist rate. Generally speaking the slower the twist rate, the lighter the bullet should be so that makes sense

30-06 is 1:10
    243 is 1:10

Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Depends on the rifle and ammo. I have two 6.5 Creedmoor rifles that shoot factory Hornady 143 grain ELD-X into very small groups. That’s the only ammo I’ve tried in either rifle. A buddy brought me a .243 he acquired for his wife, and he couldn’t get it to shoot consistently. I went through everything, remounted scope, made sure all screws torqued correctly, and it would still throw a 5-6” group at 100 yards. Went through a variety of different ammo brands, and was just about to give up. Was discussing with another guy at the range, and he had went through the same thing with his .243. He finally found a Winchester load that worked (cheapest Wal-Mart had) and I bought a box on the way home. Went back the next day, and that rifle settled right down and shot consistent 1.00-1.125” groups. Buddy’s wife killed her first deer @ 225 yards that weekend.

Having said all that, your rifle may not have the right twist for the heavy bullet. The all-copper Barnes bullets have a longer bearing surface than a comparable copper/lead bullet, and frequently require a faster twist (especially with heavy-for-caliber projectiles).

7. Member
    Primary rifle is a model 700 7mm-08. Seems to do okay with just about anything off the shelf but then again I'm not sniping from 1/4 mile. 90% of my deer have been within 50 yds.

8. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have a 25-06 I can load any 120 grain bullet in it from hand loads to different factory loads and it is happy 1 to 1.5". You throw some 90 grain HP in it and it becomes a 4" gun, 3" with the best loads I could come up with.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

I shoot a Remington 700 in .270. I use the good old Remington Core Lokt that I got from Walmart. It shoots right around an inch at 100 yards. I've never used anything else as I figured that was good enough for me. Haven't lost a deer yet and haven't had one go more than about 30 yards yet.

10. Member
    I have a Mossberg Patriot .308 that I have shot 4 different rounds through and best I can get out of it is 1.5" @ 100 yds. It is the Hornady outfitter round in 165 grain. I am not happy with it after a bunch of reviews I read on how people we surprized at the accuracy for $400 gun.

I am just about to get shed of it and get a Ruger American in .308.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

11. Member
    Old Ruger M-77 - purchased in 1972 - it loves the Remington Core-Lokt 30-06 Sprg. 125 Grain. Eat a quarter up at 100 yds.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCapes View Post
    I have 2 main rifles that I use for hunting deer. Weatherby Vanguard 243 and TC Venture 30/06. Both are tack driver's with appropriate Barnes ammo.

The 30/06 shoots 150 grain very accurate but the 185 grain is all over the paper. I have only used Barnes 85 grain in the 243.

Have you found most of your rifles to be picky with ammo?
    You've discovered the very reason accurate shooters load their own ammo. You can take 10 supposed identical guns of the same model by the same manufacturer and discover you need 10 different load combinations to achieve optimum accuracy. Variables include but are not restricted to chamber cut, barrel twist, barrel crown, stock mounting, bullet weight and/or composition, bullet velocity and on and on. I have guns that can lose accuracy by merely torquing mounting screws 3 or 4 pounds higher or lower. Transom seems to have a handle on factory ammo. Abide by his comments.

As to the 30-06, very few have an appropriate twist to accommodate bullet weights over 150 grains. I have one that will not accommodate anything under 165 grain and even that is marginal. I built it to shoot long bearing surface match grade slugs in the 200 to 220 grain class.

I was very fortunate on my 243 that the first box of ammo I bought was perfect for it.

The 30/06 was a different story. Took me 5 different brands to find 2 that would work. The 2 were the Barnes TSX 150 gr and the Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing 168 BTHP. I shot both into a box full of wet newspapers to see what the bullets would look like afterward and the match king disentegrated completely while the Barnes retained most of its mass.

I decided to hunt with the Barnes even though both were very accurate rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
    You've discovered the very reason accurate shooters load their own ammo. You can take 10 supposed identical guns of the same model by the same manufacturer and discover you need 10 different load combinations to achieve optimum accuracy. Variables include but are not restricted to chamber cut, barrel twist, barrel crown, stock mounting, bullet weight and/or composition, bullet velocity and on and on. I have guns that can lose accuracy by merely torquing mounting screws 3 or 4 pounds higher or lower. Transom seems to have a handle on factory ammo. Abide by his comments.

As to the 30-06, very few have an appropriate twist to accommodate bullet weights over 150 grains. I have one that will not accommodate anything under 165 grain and even that is marginal. I built it to shoot long bearing surface match grade slugs in the 200 to 220 grain class.

14. Member
    I have two different 270's one is a Remington 700 BDL deluxe. I have had this gun for better than 30 years and still shoots good.
    I shoot Hornady Superformance 130SST a nice bench rest and 200 yards is 3/4" to 1" but shooting the Hornady 140SST 2" at
    200 yards if I'm lucky.
    The other is a Thompson Center Encore pro hunter this gun dose not like either of the Hornady SST. I shoot Federal Premium
    Nosler Partition 130. it is a 1" at 200 yard gun.
    For some of you guys that shoot a lot is there and difference in accuracy between a Blued barrel gun and a Stainless steel gun.
    I have both and I don't see any difference but I only deer hunt.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

Quote Originally Posted by BCapes View Post
    I was very fortunate on my 243 that the first box of ammo I bought was perfect for it.

The 30/06 was a different story. Took me 5 different brands to find 2 that would work. The 2 were the Barnes TSX 150 gr and the Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing 168 BTHP. I shot both into a box full of wet newspapers to see what the bullets would look like afterward and the match king disentegrated completely while the Barnes retained most of its mass.

I decided to hunt with the Barnes even though both were very accurate rounds
    Those “match” bullets aren’t designed for hunting. You’ll love the Barnes performance on game.

16. Member
    I have a winchester 270 short. I took it Elk hunting a few years ago with Barnes ammo. One shot one kill at 275 yards give or take.

17. Member
    300WSM, 30-06, 30-30, 270, 243 I like rifles
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

18. Member
    My daughter has a Ruger stainless 77 in 260 rem. Don't tell her I take it every time I go hunting sweet gun!
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

I actually use my son's youth model Marlin 7mm-08. That little gun shoots so good and is light. Always been accurate for me.

7mm-08 on a cute little walnut Rem Model 7. I've probably carried this rifle exclusively for over 20 years. It loves the Federal Premium 140gr so I bought a lot of boxes all of the same lot so I can consistently keep shooting the 1/2" groups. IMO there is nothing better. The 140gr bullet weight is spot on for deer size game and the little model 7 is extremely light to carry and point
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast