What questions to ask??

Looking a buying my first bass boat. I've always been the co-angler.

As I've started my search I have found the the majority of the boats in my budget are used and 3-8 hour drives away. What are some questions I can ask the seller to let me know if it's worth making the drive for a better look or I should probably just move on?

2. Member
    Compression #s for each cylinder, hours on motor, very detailed photos. video of motor running and getting up on plane.maintenance records. How often used in past few years as you don't want one that may have sat unused for too long.
    do not buy a boat that you have not run or got compression numbers. See way too many posts on here about new used boat purchased and it runs too slow or will not get on plane.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    Compression #s for each cylinder, hours on motor, very detailed photos. video of motor running and getting up on plane.maintenance records. How often used in past few years as you don't want one that may have sat unused for too long.
    do not buy a boat that you have not run or got compression numbers. See way too many posts on here about new used boat purchased and it runs too slow or will not get on plane.
    This is a pretty good list. I would say that very detailed pictures are a must. I was saved a 9 hour drive to a dealer to look at / buy a Skeeter that they advertised as "fantastic condition" When I studied the pictures I noticed they had posted pictures of every inch of the boat except the port rear corner. I'm glad I picked up on that because when pressed they finally sent some pictures of that area and the boat had been in a road crash and it and the trailer were all scratched up. When I commented that i would have been beyond mad if I had driven 9 hours to pick up a really good condition boat only to see the real condition the salesman responded, "well you know it is a used boat". Buyer beware.

4. Member
    It's the same with cars, the pictures always look good. Do your homework, have a mechanic run a compression test. Test drive the boat.
    Please release me,let me go.

Id ask about service intervals, what has been repaired/replaced. Engine compression is useful, hours of usage, type of water it was used in, etc. Give it a good look over,if they won't put it on the water to test, they better be willing to reflect the cost of a new powerhead in the price. take an experienced friend if that's an option. 2 sets of eyes are better than 1.

When I've sold used boats in the past novice boaters only seemed to ask "how fast is it" and "does it chime walk"

6. Member
    Thanks for the info so far. I'll probably refer back to these suggestions as I continue to look.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    Id ask about service intervals, what has been repaired/replaced. Engine compression is useful, hours of usage, type of water it was used in, etc. Give it a good look over,if they won't put it on the water to test, they better be willing to reflect the cost of a new powerhead in the price. take an experienced friend if that's an option. 2 sets of eyes are better than 1.

When I've sold used boats in the past novice boaters only seemed to ask "how fast is it" and "does it chime walk"
    Excellent suggestions, and I would change to compression/leak down test, which should tell you the health of powerhead and rotating assembly. Don't be afraid if a boat has only been used 10-20hrs per yrs, but if she has been stored for a bit, ask how properly and where stored. fuel and mice can do alot of damage.
    I bought a SX190 Skeeter that sat for 2 yrs, ran rough as expected due to fuel, but when I did the compression/leak down, motor showed tight, plugs were normal but crappy after ran on hose still indication of bad fuel. Overall, she was a 8/10 bought it new fuel, filters, plugs, water impeller, and good cleaning and wax, and put new tires on trailer just to be safe since I was doing the hubs and bearing anyway. Sold it after 4 yrs and made money on it.

Take a look in the bilge. If it’s very clean you know they took care of it. Also check wiring did someone hack in a bunch of wires or are they run neatly with good connections. If the bilge has a water stain From standing water I would be cautious or walk away.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois