Question about boat trailer.

So my nightmare with my 2013 P4 trailer continues a week after purchase. You live and learn I guess. I checked the splines on the port side back axle and they are eat up. Think I read where that means new axle. Is that true? Anyone know roughly what that cost?
    So I have found a broken weld, no brakes, and splines are gone. Lesson learned to check trailer components more carefully. Was so busy checking the boat I guess I didn’t give the trailer the attention it needed. Certainly didn’t feel or see any problems on the 400 mile trip home.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

2. Banned
    dealer purchase or individual purchase?

Sorry to hear that Judson 1. I know there has been pics posted where someone took a mig and welded that wheel assembly onto the axle. Both the axle and wheel assembly will have to be replaced so for a quick fix this may be something to consider. Not sure what, if any, the downside would be. If you ever damaged the spindle, you would have to replace the whole shebang.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

We have seen steel sleeves, machine work done and many other ways to reset the idlers. The hardest parts is getting the alignment right. You can do it with new axles, if funds are tight and access to a shop exists and tools, then you can fabricate other methods.

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I’ll tell you I put the wheel assembly back on. Making sure it was all the way on the splines (wasn’t before).Tightened it very good. And the play is pretty much gone. 95% of it. I’m still going to
    talk to a trailer shop but my thinking now is to try it out a while and see. I mean if I have to replace the whole thing the worst that can happen is I run it a few months and then have to replace the whole thing. The pictures I attached show spline damage. But only in spots. 556D4850-5105-4CDD-9813-F59F8A22C89D.jpeg

468DC3D6-8686-4DF2-B1F5-C47D45BD05D4.jpeg
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

Keep an eye on it. The only thing holding your tire on the trailer is a brake line and that connection.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    Keep an eye on it. The only thing holding your tire on the trailer is a brake line and that connection.
    Yes sir I will! With that being the only thing keeping the wheel from coming off I’m surprised they didn’t extend the splines and insert some sort of pin through the splines to keep it locked up tight so it wouldn’t come off.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest