Thread: Will it matter?

Will it matter?

I am going to hook 2 batteries parallel so I can charge them with a single bank charger. They will be used to power 2 Humminbird Solix units.

Will it make any difference if both units are hooked to the same battery or each one to a different battery?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    No difference.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I didn’t think it would but I am neither an electrician no a scientist. Thank you. I value you opinion.

4. Member
    Same goes for charging. Some says you have to use positive on one battery and negative on the other. Doesn't make any difference. I do think you should know that if one of the batteries go bad, it will draw the other down also.
    John

5. Member
    I have seen several places where they think it matters. Heres' one: https://www.batterytender.com/connec...eries-parallel Item 9
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    I've seen several places that say that also, but as long as you're making connection to both positive and negative it doesn't charge one without the other, or charge one faster than the other. Each battery will be a load. When you parallel the batteries, they will, for all practical purposes equalized between the two. If you place the charger on one battery and it starts charging first, then the other battery becomes a load and pull voltage from the one being charged and charge itself.

7. Member
    I am not an electrical engineer. While common sense tells me you are correct, it is not a difficult thing to do. I also use larger than required jumpers between batteries(#2) because I have seen info on that making a difference as well. I guess I am a belt and suspenders type. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go