Mercury Optimax Synthetic Blend 2 Stroke Oil

Does Mercury Optimax Synthetic Blend 2 Stroke oil go bad or have a shelf life?
    I had less the a quart in the reserve tank and went to add
    some when I noticed the oil In the reserve tank looked like it was separating. You could see visible bands of different colors as if the various synthetic blends have separated. Is that normal?

2019 Mercury Optimax 200 Pro XS
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I've never experienced it. Are you asking about the remote tank (in boat) or engine reservoir? If remote, my advice is to remove, drain, and clean tank before refilling. I'd also check the pickup strainer to make sure it's clean too. Try to keep the level no less than 30% and no more than 80% full at all times.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Based on the label, it has not exceeded it's shelf life. That being said- colors will vary from one batch to another, so it's possible you were seeing that, OR also possible that you have some moisture in the remote tank (which will make for some unusual swirling-shapes in the oil if you're adding to a tank that's quite LOW).

I would be investigating this by removing the tank and the contents to determine if there is ANY moisture present.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor