Garmin GPS 24xd GPS and Heading Sensor

I've been using this since May. I took it into some areas that typically a GPS doesn't work. Many of you won't be able comprehend that but I have some places, good places to fish that the southern sky is blocked from about 1:00pm on. These are sheer straight up cliffs hundreds of feet high. The only place I found that it didn't work was parked in my garage. This is a first class product, top of the line. $299.99.
    Position accuracy, typical marine use: < 50 cm, CEP 50%; < 1.0 meter, 88%

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...1015005340/en/

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/684270
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

2. Member
    Leonard,
    Have you used a point 1? That is what I am running now. Think it has a accuracy of 3.0 meters.
    If so how does it compare?

3. Member
    I have not used Point 1. Until the 24xd, I used SteadyCast and the GPS in the unit. Apparently, they will market this to Garmin and non-Garmin users. The reason I say that is that it is NMEA2000 and NMEA0183 compatible and the calibration process has both a menu calibration and non-menu calibration. IMO there's not really a need for a non-menu based calibration for a Garmin product.

This is the spec. I can't verify that. I know it's really good, but I don't have a way to measure what percent of the time it's 1.6ft and what percent it is 3 ft. I do know that in the past I have found Garmin's specs on their products to be dead accurate.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by DR. DROP View Post
    Leonard,
    Have you used a point 1? That is what I am running now. Think it has a accuracy of 3.0 meters.
    If so how does it compare?
    Are you using the Point1 for GPS & Heading sensor or just Heading sensor?

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I have not used Point 1. Until the 24xd, I used SteadyCast and the GPS in the unit. Apparently, they will market this to Garmin and non-Garmin users. The reason I say that is that it is NMEA2000 and NMEA0183 compatible and the calibration process has both a menu calibration and non-menu calibration. IMO there's not really a need for a non-menu based calibration for a Garmin product.

This is the spec. I can't verify that. I know it's really good, but I don't have a way to measure what percent of the time it's 1.6ft and what percent it is 3 ft. I do know that in the past I have found Garmin's specs on their products to be dead accurate.
    How did the calibration go with the 24xd? I have seen that a lot of people struggle with compass calibration.

I am presently using the Point 1 for Heading & Garmin 19X for GPS...I like the idea of both coming from Garmin.
    Last edited by DonnieG; 10-18-2020 at 08:00 AM.

6. Member
    Menu based calibration is a piece of cake. Just follow the directions on screen. Kind of like SteadyCast. You just need to make sure to follow the directions to completion and not stop early. The non-menu based calibration is awkward. Remove power, restore power, within x seconds do this, etc. You just don't have the onscreen communications to confirm you are doing it right.

I've never had any trouble with compass calibration except the LVS32 on the torpedo of the TM. For the SteadyCast and 24xd I did verify the mounting location with a handheld compass. I think if you are careful about that there won't be any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Menu based calibration is a piece of cake. Just follow the directions on screen. Kind of like SteadyCast. You just need to make sure to follow the directions to completion and not stop early. The non-menu based calibration is awkward. Remove power, restore power, within x seconds do this, etc. You just don't have the onscreen communications to confirm you are doing it right.

I've never had any trouble with compass calibration except the LVS32 on the torpedo of the TM. For the SteadyCast and 24xd I did verify the mounting location with a handheld compass. I think if you are careful about that there won't be any issues.
    I think I will order the 24xd..The specs indicate that it is more accurate than my 19X..

Leonard, I received my 24xd & starting the install. It will fit in the same holes as the 19X..In doing the menu based calibration it says to be in calm water while doing the rotation. What percentage did you end up with on your calibration? One last question.. Can I power everything up while in my garage and go through the menu without screwing something up..?

I will probably get on the water Monday

Thanks for your help

9. Member
    No problem. Go ahead. It's going to try to make you calibrate it but I think you can cancel that until you get on the water.

Leonard, I went through the menus & found that the 24xd doesn't have choices as to which satellites you want to use...Just GPS & Glonass. I can switch to Internal & have all of the choices.. Maybe this is due to my not calibrating yet..

11. Member
    I haven't gone out yet today. Waiting just a bit for the wind to die down some. I'll check it out in a bit. Right now I just don't remember how much user selection is provided.

"The GPS 24xd utilizes both L1 and L5 frequencies, along with multi-constellation support (GPS, Galileo2, GLONASS, BeiDou2), to provide multi-band GPS capability enabling location accuracy within 1 meter"

This is what I am seeing

Top 2 24xd Bottom 2 is Internal

13. Member
    Same here. I don't know what has happened or when it changed. I'll report it to Garmin.

Edit. I just sent it.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 10-30-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Thanks Leonard. Hope it is just a small glitch.

Do you think it could be the new software since yours has been right until now.
    Last edited by DonnieG; 10-30-2020 at 04:28 PM.