Praying 2000 Evinrude 225 Ficht3 light salute

Hey there, I've been building a project since becoming disabled in late 2015. She is a Nitro 288 Sport with 225 Ficht long shaft, manual jack plate, no trolling motor on bow (stolen) that is awesome except she like stranding me on the Delaware river late in the day! I've got significant experience and was not afraid to get involved in this project but had no idea . . .

I have narrowed down to the EMM internal start assist or some other system check fault with 3 light salute on the Tach. I recently changed out the EMM with a used unit rebuilt by DFI that may or may not be faulty but was sold to me as a 225 pre-assigned unit but turns out from my software diagnostic as a 200 Ficht same year. My existing rebuilt (by Evinrude) EMM has same lockout issues which reset by disconnecting the negative cable, and starting prior to system check time out. The newer replacement ran but roughly due to injector assignments. I removed prior to causing harm, can the injectors simply be reprogrammed as 6 replacements? I have all coefficients and other s/n, relevant info.

Actually, however, I'm wondering if there may be an internal fault in the PDP around the main harness ground internal circuit in the PDP, perhaps the diode failed? i've already replaced all 3 diodes in the harness and verified the other diodes in the PDP are aok.

Any feedback is helpful, thanks! I can provide more specifics, photos, images, etc.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What are your codes a hand full of 8's? If so off to DFI or MCS or whoever your choice is. Provide them with the injector info so they can program it for you or send the injectors to them.

3. Member
    No handful of 8's at all, quite the opposite, not so simple. On Saturday I removed and dissasembled the PDP to inspect for bad solder joints, cracks, and verify the on-board MOV (varistor) resistor as working normally. All of the diodes on the PCB are working fine and the only test I know to do on the MOV is to check continuity and it is ok also. I did not find any bad solder but later after zooming in on the PCB photo I took while apart, I noticed what appears to be a possible hairline crack in the conductive green coating on the PCB in the "switched B+ to EMM" circuit. Funny thing is I reinstalled the replacement DFI rebuild for the E200 motor and she ran good without stalling or tree light salute. Took her out this morning at the crack of dawn, lost my ball cap first time flat out WOT, rand flawlessly for 1-1/2 hours port to port and she did 62 mph @ 6200 rpm, smooth as silk. Only hitch was when she was cold and departing trailer to dock temporarily due to shift interrupt faltering which seemed normal for 39 degree ambient air temp. & when pushing her up onto the trailer for securing the winch strap, I got a "check engine light and alarm" right before shutting down. Perhaps the motor was drawing mud from turbulence or some other trash as our Delaware river is rather full of trash and water weed at low tide. Later in the evening she fired up several times without a fault on the hose muffs.

Anyone ever encountered this hairline crack issue in PCB coating? I'm thinking if it resurfaces as three light fault I'll simply solder a jumper between the PCB pins as it seems only to carry current between two points and it can be easily bridged with plenty of room behind the cover for wires and such. I simply don't buy the "call DFI (tried but no response anyway), or MCS. I rebuild, repair my own starters, PCB's when possible and other components, know how or figure out how to isolate, diagnose and analyze. I've been a mechanic/diagnostician/instructor & trainer for 5 decades.

I'm kind of disillusioned with this EV5 software with the dongle connector, without the Bossweb connection and log-in it's somewhat useless except to get operating statistics and parameters, and mine only works with Windows 7 and below, compatibility mode in windows 8/10 does not seem to work well either. Any feedback will be much appreciated, this project has been in the works since I became disabled in 2015 and may have helped save my life by giving me a part time occupation during Worker Comp. downtime and retraining, but I've got a couple potential buyers and she's ready to fish or simply scream and fly, pull wakeboarders, skiers, or whatever. She's a 2003 Nitro 288 Fish & Ski with billet removable pylon, convertible fore and aft fishing/recreational chairs, etc. - pretty unique set-up
    IMG_0158.jpgIMG_0159.jpgIMG_0160.jpgIMG_0161.jpgIMG_0162.jpg