Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tracker 175 Rebuild: Fix the Finest

My fiancée and I have browsed this forum many times looking for information while disassembling our boat, and we thought it may be useful for others to start a thread detailing our experiences with it.

We acquired this 2016 175 TXW this past winter. After owning a few different boats, we were on the search for an aluminum boat over 16’, a floor over 56’ wide, and at least 60HP, and capable of crossing open water with some chop. This boat popped up for sale 6 hours away, and after about 800 miles of driving we had this boat in the driveway.

Here’s how it looked before disassembly. At this point we had installed a terrova, flip up cleats, guide ons, and a 93SV at the drivers seat.

t0011.jpg

Much smoother ride than previous boats we have had.

t0021.jpg

Ample deck space was a welcomed addition too.

t0031.jpg

First step was pulling up the carpet on the inside of the storage to see what the construction was like. At the minimum we were thinking of pulling this carpet out in particular because the dry hatches do not properly drain all the water if the boat is rained on, and drying out the carpet afterwards either required the compartments open for days or drying it out with multiple towels.

P0010.JPG

Didn’t take much for this carpet to peel off the walls.

t100.jpg

Carpet cut off the plywood floor.

P7090636.JPG

Next step was to remove the side walls. They are screwed into the framing from the side, and drilled into the wood floor.

They are shorter than the actual storage area height.

P7090634.JPG

P7090644.JPG

P7090648.JPG

Side walls and carpet fully removed.

P7090649.JPG

More to follow.

Nice work!
    Extra two thumbs up for the Fly Rod in hand!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    Good job!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcyoung517 View Post
    Good job!
    Agree, thanks for sharing.

5. Member
    Very nice

6. Member
    Didn’t take much for the carpet to pull off the wood. A single piece of carpet is applied up the sidewalls and down the wall of the bulkhead. The seams on the side are covered with polymer flashing tape. I’m not aware of what the grey tape is named, but it is very sticky and hard to remove.

aUBadUC.jpg

First exposure to tracker build quality. There were more crooked screws than straight attaching the deck to the frame. All of the screws into the wood through the framing are self tapping screws, and most required an impact screwdriver to remove. The more crooked the screw, the more difficult it was to remove.

7nN8Gj6.jpg

ey7KJzS.jpg

8BLPo16.jpg

AKQtj1U.jpg

You’d think they would have a way to consistently cut plywood to match the shape of the boat. Here, they stapled in a piece of wood to fill in the gap.

51I8tD7.jpg

Accurately drilled holes for these rivets

JGIffTZ.jpg

Side hatches off. Deck is made of 5/8 ply.

AgzZEXl.jpg

Entire deck off. The framing you see is screwed into the angle on the rear bulkhead, and sits in a cut out channel on the forward bulkhead.

njQWWCd.jpg
    Last edited by mnmbw; 10-16-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added image

7. Member
    You got this

8. Southern Cross Crappie

9. #FRB
    What prompted you to start tearing this boat apart? Nothing on my 2016 175txw has gotten wonky yet and it gets fished hard.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    As I understand it the lifetime deck/hull warranty is transferrable to a second owner in the first five years of ownership. If it is a 2016 it may be within the first 5 years. If you bought it from a first owner and purchased 30 days or less ago it may qualify.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    What prompted you to start tearing this boat apart? Nothing on my 2016 175txw has gotten wonky yet and it gets fished hard.
    We are rebuilding the boat because we live about 4 hours from any body of water worth fishing currently, but next year we are relocating and I want this boat to be ready to fish and not need work. A few things we wanted to change about the boat and might as well get the work done now rather than wish it was done later. The fit and finish issues existed from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
    As I understand it the lifetime deck/hull warranty is transferrable to a second owner in the first five years of ownership. If it is a 2016 it may be within the first 5 years. If you bought it from a first owner and purchased 30 days or less ago it may qualify.
    4 months of warranty left, but looking at the paperwork the hull and deck are for the life of the boat for the original owner. The 5 year warranty includes "all electrical components, livewells and plumbing, stereo, gauges and switches, console, seats, steering system, carpet, fuel system, and gelcoat". All of those are fine and did not need replacing. Also, we live about 3 hours from the nearest two tracker dealers.

12. #FRB
    With the price tin bass rigs are starting to go for I sure do hope I never need that lifetime hull and deck warranty but if I do I hope they honor it. Might try to squeeze 40 years out of my hull and just freshen up the seats and carpet and hang a new motor on it when the time comes
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

13. Member
    With the deck off, you can see how they wired the front electronics. Excess masking tape just left under the floor, split loom secured with masking tape, scrap carpet stuck in the pour foam, real high quality fit and finish

7L6EINS.jpg

puvVmxC.jpg

8FlgDTQ.jpg

TOsehIP.jpg

The wall that the seats are attached to wasn’t the easiest to uninstall. First, the bottom parts of the seat and the piano hinges were removed. In hindsight, probably better off to leave the bottom cushions on so you have something to sit on while dealing with these screws.

QJzsILk.jpg

WscCPaa.jpg

Locating the screws in the wall. They are scattered across the top of the wall, two in the middle and one on each corner.

v551cSY.jpg

The wall the seat backs are attached to is actually a .1 aluminum removable wall, carpeted and drilled into the welded, non removable wall that is in front of the livewell. Combined with crooked self tapping screws, this made removing the screws extremely difficult. Using an impact screwdriver, it was still a very slow and tedious process because if you slip out of these screws with your bit just once or twice, it will probably be stripped enough that a bit won’t properly hold. Trying to use normal screwdrivers on these, and most of the other self tappers in the boat, was an easy way to strip the screw.

There is a screw right underneath this part of the console that is a real PITA to remove without removing the console. My fiancée somehow got it out, really need to be careful not to damage the head of the screw when applying such angled pressure. Those cheap adhesive wire tie mounts showed no lack of adhesion after rain exposure and being on the boat for a few months.

NlAvmFP.jpg

The seat center cushions were held on with velcro. Remove the cushion and you gain access to the screws holding the main part of the seat on. These screws again were incredibly resistant to moving.

yHPqOV3.jpg

With all these screws removed, the entire panel should lift out.

14. Member
    To get the plywood subfloor out of the cockpit area, the side wall had to go. Starboard side was screwed into the console, and the floor. With these screws removed, it easily slid out. More carpet underneath it with foam against the wall.

QQOHWYB.jpg

Tf4WM7G.jpg

Port side was much more difficult. With the screws removed, the adhesion between the pour foam and the wall was strong enough that it simply would not move. Without knowing what was exactly behind the wall, I didn’t want to sink a cutting tool into it and accidently cut part of the boat.

pPVDXbH.jpg

It’s honestly impressive how angled they installed some of these self tapping screws.

Rvhni5I.jpg

I have some thin plastic car panel pry bars that were useful as a non marring tool to pry on these areas without scratching them, and the relative lack of strength of the plastic prevents you applying too much pressure on the boat.

p7vZXqw.jpg

I knew the top side was hollow based on a small gap I could see through, and since I am not reusing this panel I started cutting away with tin snips to get a better look at whats behind.

5XMJddW.jpg

I slowly cut off sections of the wall with a cut off tool set just to the depth of the aluminum, and with each section cut there was less adhesion between the panel and foam. Once I cut enough of the wall to determine where I could cut without issue, I made longer cuts until the entire panel was able to be popped off. The foam is about 1.5" thick.

rejAXEY.jpg

Once removed, you can see how the entire back side area is covered with just masking tape and is void of foam. Close to the color of pour foam, guess tracker thought it would blend right in

Flap of tape

vRsaO9y.jpg

Flap folded over showing empty area

VjacMar.jpg

15. Member
    Getting the cockpit floor out took me a bit. The screws in the floor were rusted, and some of them being crooked made removal even more difficult. Impact screw driver and cutting slots into the bit, and being extremely careful not to damage the heads. The heads were very prone to chipping due to the rust.

2oXGYbG.jpg

With the screws out, the floor was still glued in the boat due to adhesion with the pour foam. I was expecting some of the foam underneath was compromised and planned on replacing it. Referencing a picture of tracker construction and digging out the foam around where they pumped the foam in, I was able to calculate safe areas to drill with a hole saw. The pilot bit was used initially to get the hole saw started, and removed when the hole saw had a path to stay in. The pilot bit would penetrate no more than ¼”, and everywhere it was used I knew the thickness of the pour foam was much higher. The areas I did not know the thickness of the foam, I took a piece of plywood with cut out holes, secured it to the deck, and used the holes as my drill bit guide without the pilot bit. One hole after another, it finally came off.

sU870AF.png

6btnJ1I.jpg

lt9a6mZ.jpg

pEFkTwe.jpg

MNFagk4.jpg

ycZLIQK.jpg

FOyuRbj.jpg

9I4gkO7.jpg

While trying to determine a plan for removing the livewell, I noticed something odd through the gap in the floor. Can't wait to see what it is, it is inaccessible without taking the livewell out.

8vYgdKS.jpg

3w5ddY0.jpg

D2SdXaE.jpg

16. Member
    The storage area floor. First step, removing the screws.

pqPbovE.jpg

ExrESUZ.jpg

Every screw looked this bad.

1pIxZKx.jpg

I had many of the screws crumble after trying my hardest to preserve them and using multiple techniques. I struggled with figuring out how to get the deck off with these screws still stuck in the framing, and I recalled that I owned a set of plug cutters from harbor freight. I was able to effectively core out the material around the broken screws with these plug cutters, without contacting the aluminum underneath.

u21JQeq.jpg

The floor didn’t fit as tightly as the cockpit floor, so I was able to get my hands underneath it and it came up pretty easily.

1EBPOWF.jpg

A look at the foam underneath. Just a cup of standing water sitting in this low spot. Boat hasn’t see rain or any other kind of water in many months. Water seemingly gets into these areas in the boat and has no way to properly drain.

CWR2UmP.jpg

KHF8uxe.jpg

17. Member
    just about right where you are, carpet showed up friday. livewell and fuel tank out

18. Member
    Do you have any photos of the lids without carpet on them? I am considering tearing my entire front deck out to lay it out the way id like better, but would require me making/ modifying the existing lids, I am curious how they corners of the lids are made? welded? riveted etc?

19. Member
    I feel for you as I just totally rebuilt mine. Hundred of hours of work, etc. I found a few quality control issues with my Fisher Pro Hawk 180, but jeez, NOTHING like your Tracker. I'm really shocked to be quite honest. No pride in the workers I guess, both personal and for the company they represent.

Keep at it....fight off the burnout....it's very rewarding once the project is complete.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcyoung517 View Post
    just about right where you are, carpet showed up friday. livewell and fuel tank out
    Are you using the same tank? I looked at smaller tanks to gain more storage space but didn't see any that I thought would add much space.

Quote Originally Posted by bluephone View Post
    Do you have any photos of the lids without carpet on them? I am considering tearing my entire front deck out to lay it out the way id like better, but would require me making/ modifying the existing lids, I am curious how they corners of the lids are made? welded? riveted etc?
    They are .100" aluminum sheet bent in a brake. The seams at the corners are not welded, there is a gap that measures roughly .100" at these corners. I can post a pic of it in my next post.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    I feel for you as I just totally rebuilt mine. Hundred of hours of work, etc. I found a few quality control issues with my Fisher Pro Hawk 180, but jeez, NOTHING like your Tracker. I'm really shocked to be quite honest. No pride in the workers I guess, both personal and for the company they represent.

Keep at it....fight off the burnout....it's very rewarding once the project is complete.
    I still have a few more posts to write up showing the breakdown, luckily i'm near the finish line and approaching the rebuild stage. The issues on this boat were 100% avoidable if there was more attention to detail. I'm not sure who is to blame in the equation, but these boats are clearly made as fast as possible, with little concern of how long the product will last. That being said I certainly could have used this boat for a decade without knowing what was hiding underneath the carpet. I'd love to tear another brand of boat down to the core, and I'd bet tracker isn't the only company hiding poor build quality underneath carpet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast