Slam latches....

Has anyone replaced your stock latches with the “slam latches” that most other manufacturers use? If so, pass on where ya got with what works!
    '21 Silverado 1500 Duramax
    '12 Nitro Z9 Mercury ProXs 250
    Power Pole
    Lowrance
    Elite Rods
    Venom Lures

2. Member
    I would think it would be a ton of work (as much as I'd love to have them). You have to realize, the inside of the box, needs a surface for the lid to slam against. Most (if not all) bassboats, with regular generic latches, only latch on the lip on the inside of the box. They need to surface of some kind installed, to slam against for the new latches.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

3. Member
    I know it'd be some work, just not a fan of these latches!
    '21 Silverado 1500 Duramax
    '12 Nitro Z9 Mercury ProXs 250
    Power Pole
    Lowrance
    Elite Rods
    Venom Lures

Why is it people like these?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Slam latches and auto lock compartments would be a great option. I’d gladly pay a premium for them, but I don’t want to scab together slam latches that probably won’t work great and will look bad.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

So its the auto locking feature that people like? I thought it had something to do with the handles, and compartments not opening while running down the lake..... which has never happened to me in 35+ years of bass fishing boats.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    Think it’s more not having handles sticking up as a trip hazard etc
    Nitro z21

8. Member
    R they noisy when closing?????
    Don’t care for any lid slamming when ��

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    So its the auto locking feature that people like? I thought it had something to do with the handles, and compartments not opening while running down the lake..... which has never happened to me in 35+ years of bass fishing boats.
    For me its the tripping hazard and stepping a latch that isn't down all the way barefoot. Slam latches always seem nicer (to me anyway). Many of the Nitro latches are a complete pain in the ass too, seems like you are forever spinning the damn thing around to get it to latch or constantly adjusting them to get them to latch correctly. You tighten them to get them to seal good, then they are a pain to close.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

Guess I have had this style of latches for a long time. Maybe Im blind to the issues. I think most slam latches still have a tripping hazard ring.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Guess I have had this style of latches for a long time. Maybe Im blind to the issues. I think most slam latches still have a tripping hazard ring.
    Slam latches always lay flat, they are spring loaded, so they are always flat until you lift them up.

12. Member
    I've been thinking about replacing all my latches with a simple flush mount pull similar to this: https://www.perko.com/catalog/cabine...24/flush_pull/ (this one isn't the correct size... but you get the idea)

On the plus side... If I ever need to hide something from my wife I can just stow it in the boat. She can't figure out how the latches work and I always leave them in the open/unlocked position.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS