Question Travel trailer restoration\rehab questions

Wife and I have thinking about a used travel trailer, to purchase in the next couple of years. By then our kids will be out of college.
    Been looking online and watching videos, not finding anything to fit our wants, not willing to compromise either. I'm thinking get an older one, gut it, make it how we want. Are there any sites you'd recommend, for gaining knowledge for this? Getting ideas? Youtubers to watch? I have zero experience with campers.
    Places to source parts? Fridge, furnace, AC, holding tanks, cabinets, shower stall, hot water heaters, etc.

Thank You in advance!

2. Member
    I have a friend who took a brand new enclosed trailer and turned into a kick ass toy hauler camper for a lot less then used camper. There are plenty of youtube videos to help guide you. With some basic carpentry, electrical and plumbing skills you can too, Depending on the type of camping you will do will determine a lot of things.

If you will always camp where there is electricity you wont need a propane fridge. This will be the most costly.

You will have to think outside the box. For example. For a bed he used this. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Campi...dp/B00AU6AVLW/ once he takes the Harley out of the back he put it up and boom, bedroom. Getting windows and doors is easy. Plus an enclosed trailer is built a lot better then any camper,

3. Member
    Thank You for the link! I'm wanting to build one, wife is wanting to buy a new one. Last month, we looked at a couple new ones, I wasn't impressed with the build quality. I'm slowly finishing a boat rebuild, it's already overbudget, she's using that against me, to justify buying a new one vs building one. My rebuttal is, this way you get it set up just how you want it. We shall who wins!

4. Member
    One thing to keep in mind whether you build on an enclosed trailer frame or restoring or refitting an older travel trailer. Weight, how much and where is it placed at. You want to keep your total weight and tongue weight ratio in mind when choosing materials. In my opinion that is one of the issues with the newer ones. Manufacturers using cheap light weight materials to keep weight down. Best of luck with your decision.
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Most rigs only have a couple of thousand pounds of cargo capacity. Many much less. It sounds like a lot, but with batteries, cooking stuff etc. it’s easy to load that kind of weight in one. Renovations inevitably add a lot of weight to a trailer. Home construction techniques and materials are generally a lot heavier than what is used in an RV. You also have to be careful to keep the weight properly balanced around the axles or the trailer will be a nightmare on the road.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    rvnet.net

don't go too old; some campgrounds do not allow for fear of abandonment...

7. Member
    Thanks all!

8. Member
    You are not far from Elkhart Indiana I believe. Most of the RV companies have tours. There are also several used RV supply stores in the area and White Pigeon Michigan. Bonntrager's is one of the places that carries a lot of used, discontinued parts, heaters, refrigerators etc.

9. Member
    Dvl2700 - thank you !

10. Member
    Father in law has a 2020 keystone fifth wheel and several issues and yes they purchased it new. Back to the dealer where purchased and this last time they had to remove the door and frame and install a new one. Decals peeling off. Gray tank water fitting was not glued together. New comes with it share of headaches.