Trolling Motor Toggle Switch

Hey y'all! Hope everyone is doing good!

I wanted to see if anyone had a wiring diagram or wiring instructions for hooking up a trolling motor to run 12/24 volt on a 3 position toggle switch (on-off-on style)?

I am setting up a Jon boat with a large trolling motor but want to be able to run both 12 and 24 volt depending on current, wind, etc. I currently have it hooked up as 12 and just switch the wires to run 24 but would like to make it a little easier and just have a toggle that did this but unfortunately I don't know what I need to do to get it hooked up to one of those darn things

Thanks to any and all in advance!!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇
    Bass Pro Shops, Nitro Boats, Mercury, Kastking

2. Member
    I do not recommend this on modern motors. Modern motors ar either 12 or 24 not both.
    The switch should have 3 pins on the back. the middle pin is common to the two other pins depending what position the switch is in. The 12 volt wire will be on one of the outside pins and 24 volt will be on the other outside pin. The middle pin will go to the troll motor.
    Couple of cautions. This is not for variable speed motors. This is for early model Motor guide or Minn Kota motors. Later models will run on the wrong voltage, but will burn the motor or wires eventually.

Thanks!! This is for a 2003 model Motorguide that is 5 speed. My reasoning for doing this was going to be so I could easily get 5 speeds from 12v and 5 speeds from 24v as the lowest speed in full 24v is really too fast for my liking. (Basically this is just me being picky, I had this trolling motor sitting around collecting dust so figured I would rig it up on the jon and have more motor than I needed.)

But like you said, maybe that isn't the best idea for me...probably why I couldn't find a trolling motor wiring diagram for a toggle switch it in the first place

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

4. Member
    That wiring diagram will be on the foot control motors. I hope this will help you. I tried to attach a link to the correct site, but I could not get it to work correctly.
    If you are unsure about the wiring then google search a wiring diagram for a motor guide 12/24 volt foot control motor. It has what you are looking for.
    Last edited by Bradrodfish; 10-17-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Perfect! Thanks for that!! I will do a search and see what I'm looking at.

Thanks again!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

6. Member
    Older Motorguides were set up that way, but instead of a 12/24 toggle, they went to a run/constant/high bypass toggle and either 12 or 24. The toggle is the same, the trolling motor wiring under the footpedal is different. However, like Brad said above, you would need a high amp on/off/on switch. A positive from battery one would go to one side, a positive from battery 2 to the other side. The batteries would be jumped pos bat 1 to neg bat 2 and the neg of bat 1 would go through the footpedal and connect to the ground going to trolling motor.
    John