Cold mornings on a deep lake

Help! I'm trying to hone my transition fishing and cold mornings is a scenario that I am absolutely lost on.

When it gets down in the 30s for the first time, what do you throw until the sun warms things up a bit?

Jig on Docks? Structure a little deeper - near drop-offs?

I promise I won't catch your fish... and if I do, I'll just put it back. hahahaha...
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

2. Member
    I'm no expert but up here in the ice belt I will tell you I tend to fish deep early in the am when it is cold to catch smallies then as the water and temperature warms I tend to hit sunny afternoon coves with structure. This time of year I find largemouth hide until the sun can warm things a bit but smallies in 30 ft apparently dont get the memo that it was cold the night before.....

3. Member
    thanks for chiming in!
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

Completely different fisheries obviously between TN and MN, but the first few "fall like" mornings around here, the bass seem to get stupid shallow first thing. Some of the best frog days I've had are when summer starts to fade and you get those mornings where your teeth are chattering getting into the boat. You get a couple hours of it if you're lucky, but I've really whacked them like that a few different times, and the times that I have, you bascially have to cast onto the bank then drag it into the water as they have their nose almost in the dirt.

Later on, what I would call mid- to late-fall, they definitely seem to get lockjaw until the sun comes out a little.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34